? fungus on clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have attached the pics of the affected clown. I just added fish to the aquarium yesterday( 2 perc clowns, coral beauty and a BHT ) The levels are WNL(Nitrate 0, Nh3 0.1, Ph 8.2 SG 1.022). I did not note these changes on the fish when I added him but they were there today. He is not scratching and is eating. Very active. I have placed him in a QT bowl, I will plan on getting a 10g. any Idea what this is, do I treat it and if so how? What about the other fish? Thanks.
I do have some inverts in the display tank.

Guys, I need some help here. The white stuff is spreading. Fish still looks good though. He was acclimated with the lights off, floated the bag for 15 min, then added a cup of my tank water every 5min, then spilled out half and repeated the process, added the fish to the tank after the bag was full a second time. I added two clowns and one of them fell in the sink for a second. It may have been this one. Thanks again.

Attachments

• clown_1_196.jpg
    clown_1_196.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 50
  • clown_2_125.jpg
    clown_2_125.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 64
The little guy has to get out of the bowl...or at least provide an air stone and change 1/2 the water every other day. Get that QT very soon.

What I would do personally, would be to pluck the fuzz off and apply Bio Bandage (by Hikari) and treat the water with an antibiotic. Whenever handling fish, put some Stress Coat on your hands prior to handling.

Thanks , Antifungal or antibiotic? And how do I catch the guy without stressing him. How long do I treat and how long does he stay in QT?
Thanks again.

Catch him in a soft net...soft nets have that real fine smooth, very tinie tiny holes. Wrap the net around his body and make it so his dorsal is kind of sticking out. If the clown is really small, then just trap him in an area and use a plastic or clean hemostats (if you have) to kind of scrape the fuzz off. If you're not successful, don't worry.

Fungus is usually a secondary infection. Use a medication that caters to both fungus and bacteria.

He should be treated as stated on the medication package and remain in the QT until infection is gone. Good to have them in for a week or so after treatment is complete to insure it is gone.

Sorry guys I lost Nemo, despite the above mentioned efforts. Thanks for the help, :(

sorry about the fish..

i had a similar incident with my clowns...although the spots weren't as well pronounced as the ones on your fish. I did the surgery on them and fornunately they pulled through.

So sorry to hear. Perhaps getting a proper QT set before more fish would be a good idea. Keep new fish in it for about two weeks before putting into the main tank. If they are harboring any disease or parasites, it'll show up within this time and treatment can be done right in the QT.

Keep it simple. A five or ten gallon tank, a good air pump driven sponge filter, a heater, thermometer and something for the fish to hide in. Easy to sanitize plastic is best. Flower pots make good 'caves'. I keep QTs bare bottomed so parasites are easier to erradicate. There's no sand or gravel for them to hide in. I find it needless to have a bio cycle established in a QT being they are often exposed to medications. What we do at the store I work for is 25% water changes daily or every other day depending on the size of the fish to the amount of water the tank holds and what treatment requires if any.

At least the other clown is doing good...yes???

Back
Top Bottom