General question about fighting disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a thought I would like some input on.

I have a Yellow Tang that has been showing signs of problems. He has had area of brownish to dark brown all over his body. He was even showing signs of scratching on the rocks in the tank. I did not have a PS or a UV sterilizer in the tank. The tank completed cycling a few months ago.

Before I added the PS and UV, the tank water had turned completly green (it looked like a green pond). I added the PS and UV and within a few days tha water turned crystal clear and the PS produced tons of green goop (the algae).

The Tang is now showing signs that his problem is clearing up.

In theory, could the UV have helped him to recovery? I guess what I am thinking is that if I removed all bacteria, etc. from the water, it allowed his natural immunity to kick in and fight whatever he had. I know UV us used to PREVENT disease, but it seems like it also helped cure him.

I'd love some feedback.

Thanks,
Pete R.

The more healthy your water the better chance of your fish being able to fight off problems on his own. DOC, skimmed out by your skimmer was probably the best thing that you did for him as that got rid of the nasties in the water (more than just the algae that you saw) allowing him better chance to feel better.

Glad it all worked out!

Back
Top Bottom