Gill Flukes. Im fighting a losing battle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys.

I'm getting pretty annoyed with these gill flukes I've been dealing with for about, uh, 2 and a half months. They're in my main tank and I've been using prazipro for that entire time, trying different lengths of doses, different doses. It help, but then the eggs hatch and reinfect the fish so fast that they start twitching before the treatment is over. Obviously, the prazipro is not working. I have no idea what to do at this point.

They just started twitching occasionally again, it's very occasional. It's not a severe infestation.

And yes, I know for sure they're flukes already. Is there another in tank med i can try? Setting up another qt is my last last resort, my angel is too hard to catch.

Anyone have any ideas? anything is welcome, I'm just so lost.

Thank you :)

I don't really know but would say best thing do is set up qt and let dt sit empty of fish for few weeks when treating fish in qt. with your flame would use two nets as I had catch mine when upgraded tank, or empty tank so not much water in and will be Easier to catch

Anyone know exactly how long to leave the dt fishless? And can I leave my cleaner shrimp i n the tank?

Thanks I will be sure to dip them before.

I cant find ajy website online that says the timeframe to leave the tank empty...whats cycle of flukes? Is 4 weeks ok*

I haven't seen any symptoms today. I tried a new approach with the prazipro this week because I thought my dosing schedule was wrong and not catching the life cycle at the right time. I've been dosing a little bit each day and I'm gonna see if it works. If not, right to qt with all the fish :(

also, i would suggest 5min of FW dip before you put the fish in the QT tank.

Hi reading this thread and your reply.... Just wondering why you do the freshwater dip? I've not heard this before. And do you only do it with gill flukes?

Love learning something new everyday! :)

Freshwater dips cause the parasites to drop off in seconds and die. Its more commonly used for flukes but people do it for ich too

its also a double-edged sword. it can stress fish out and if a fishs health is already compromised due to illness, a fw dip can escalate the issue.

Freshwater dips cause the parasites to drop off in seconds and die. Its more commonly used for flukes but people do it for ich too

+1

also, a dip is recommended for everything from invert to coral to fish to live rock. you never know what's lurking between the crevices and inside of the livestock

Its amazing how long saltwater fish can stay in freshwater too. I once dipped a fish for 30 minutes and he still looked like he was swimming in normal saltwater.

its also a double-edged sword. it can stress fish out and if a fishs health is already compromised due to illness, a fw dip can escalate the issue.

yes i concede this point. a round about way of over coming this could be QT the new fish (at least in my experience with newly acquired fish as opposed to fish in the display tank) in the first QT tank for a week or so to alleviate the shipping stress and swap it to a second QT tank after a few min of FW dip. that way i get the best of both worlds.

there comes a point in this hobby where two conflicting practices collide with each other and i still have yet to wrap my head around it: yes, you should FW dip if possible and yes drip acclimation is recommended for any livestock, how can it be done for FW dips without causing stress to the fish? even 1hr of drip acclimation of freshwater for a saltwater fish could be harmful, yes? Am i confusing myself or does anyone out there know the point i'm trying to reach? the FW dip is a chemical/pH swing that many hobbyists try to avoid because of the stress on the livestock. i feel like i'm digging myself a hole of confusion

Thanks for your responses. I have read up about it now. Seems like a good idea but not sure I'll be game enough to do it. I guess if all your parameters (pH, temp, alkalinity....) are exactly the same as the display tank and just the salinity is what is different it couldn't do too much damage but nonetheless it still would make me feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for your responses. I have read up about it now. Seems like a good idea but not sure I'll be game enough to do it. I guess if all your parameters (pH, temp, alkalinity....) are exactly the same as the display tank and just the salinity is what is different it couldn't do too much damage but nonetheless it still would make me feel uncomfortable. Thanks :)

I was probably more stressed than the fish was when I did my first freshwater dip lol. I hate doing them, but if I must.

Could the reason my butterfly twitches sometimes be because the flukes are dying? I've been dosing every day a little bit.

it really sucks having disease in the dt. please, everyone quarantine your new fish, seriously.

I will add that as long as you understand your fishes swimming habits and behaviors, its easy to see the stress level rising in a fish when they are in fw. any signs that the fish is starting to be overwhelmed by the stress, they should be removed.

Do you think 8 weeks fallow is enough to kill the flukes in the dt?

Back
Top Bottom