Ginger - Ich treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to share an experience with an apparent homeopathic remedy that I used to treat 3 fish with clear symptoms of Marine Ick (Cryptocaryon irritans.) I diagnosed my fish with this simultaneous outbreak yesterday at around 6pm, and was about to transfer the 3 fish to a hyposaline tank when I decided to try something out I'd read about: Ginger. I just thought it couldn't hurt, so I dosed a 1/4 tsp to my 55 reef.

Today - 22 hours later - the ick on my 2" sailfin tang had receded to all but the tail. Color and eating patterns have fully been restored.
- Scissortail goby free of ick, as is the Orchid dottyback.

Skip to the end to skip the "disclaimer" lol:
I am aware of the ick life cycle, and that tomonts have probably encysted on the aquarium surface by now, which could be the sole reason that the trophonts aren't visible on the fish. I also know that ick infections can often resolve themselves with excellent tank/fish care, and that it is extremely hard to narrow the factors in this short term elimination of visible ich to a single possible remedy.

Still, I'm hopeful that the ginger played some role - I dosed another 1/8 of a tsp. today.
I'll keep this little experiment updated at least for a few weeks, to observe the possible re-infection of my fish (or possible lack thereof :) )

The homeopathic 'remedies' aren't a cure of ich. Like you said, it is all about healthy fish. Treatments like such aim towards the slime coat on fish to assist in a healthier fish and then harder for a parasite to attach to a fish, so claimed.
That said, I hope it works out for you. Normally these treatments are not effective as it is viewed as a cure(and the cysts fall off!) and the cause of the outbreak is never addressed. Be it parameter issues, bullying, inappropriate tank size for the fish...whatever.
Still, even hypo and copper based meds won't be a solution if the origin of such weakness isn't addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I tried once chopping up fresh garlic which I read somewhere online that it suppose to help fish fight ichs. It didn't work at the end.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did I hear someone mentioned that they don't feed their fish that is for human consumption or something to that effect? Well, here is something to think about. Herbal medicine have been proven to be effective. See weed is one of them. Do you know that garlic and ginger are herbal medicine just like the sea weed? So why would it be difficult for people to believe that they are also effective to other life form such as fish?

Whatever the real reason is that it works I don't really care all I know is it works. But that said I do agree it doesn't address the original issue. In my case it was a new fish I didn't qt

90 gal reef

I`d have to see more info before deciding if ginger is the way to go. I did a bit of a study on it and I dont see where it has any impact on parasites as well as I dont see that it even helps the immune system. Looks mostly like a pain killer and help to diabetics. And even though yes homeopathics can aid health issues they all have their pro`s and cons. I know you had great results on using it in your tank. I`d have to see more research and more experience in this field. I`m glad it worked out.

Update:

I agree Sniperhank, water quality/diet is the first base to cover in terms of preventing ich - however I would be interested to learn more about what effects if any actually ginger helped, in other similar stories you can find online. As I said, there are too many variables in our reef tanks to isolate ginger as some sort of actual treatment, but I do have some news:

The sailfin now has some ich specks, but not a serious infection - other fish are free of ick. My personal fish question: why is the tang acting skittish, hovering right next to the algae clip near the surface for a few seconds, and generally acting unusually? He is eating, but not as much. He/she has healthy color, as do the other fish, but I'm worried about his hovering behavior particularly.

What symptoms does ick pose on fish other than white spots? ...I may decide to do a hypo if another water change and ginger dose don't make any difference for the tang.

My tank took about two weeks of ginger and water changes before I wouldn't see a couple spots of ich in the morning when the lights came on.

90 gal reef

The sailfin now has some ich specks, but not a serious infection - other fish are free of ick. My personal fish question: why is the tang acting skittish, hovering right next to the algae clip near the surface for a few seconds, and generally acting unusually? He is eating, but not as much. He/she has healthy color, as do the other fish, but I'm worried about his hovering behavior particularly.

Because he is sick and stressed. That is most likely the safest place it can find without fighting out for its own spot in the tank. The fish was very skinny and might not have any strength at all.
In terms of danger ich poses, that it also infects the gills and can make it harder for them to breathe. That aside, it continues to lower the strength of the fish opening up to other diseases, fungus, so on.

My tank took about two weeks of ginger and water changes before I wouldn't see a couple spots of ich in the morning when the lights came on.

90 gal reef

Glad to hear another good story involving ginger! Seems like ginger + excellent parameters and diet can be a pretty good way to help a fish fight ick (but hypo and copper are still sometimes required.)

Because he is sick and stressed. That is most likely the safest place it can find without fighting out for its own spot in the tank. The fish was very skinny and might not have any strength at all.
In terms of danger ich poses, that it also infects the gills and can make it harder for them to breathe. That aside, it continues to lower the strength of the fish opening up to other diseases, fungus, so on.

Thanks for the info. Few things: I'm glad to know he's just feeling exhausted from the illness, and not actually in the stages of dying from the ick directly.

Second, to my surprise the ick spots from this morning have once again vanished, and he is actually returning to normal grazing and half-staring at anyone who walks by the tank. Assuming the trophonts have simply dropped off, this is expected, but based on other's experiences with fighting off ick, should I still do a hypo tank?

...And as I was typing the previous message my scissortail goby jumped out of a crack in the top, and landed on the floor. I picked him up barehanded and had him back in in 10 seconds. He looks as if nothing happened. Should I be worried about after effects? Lol what a weird thing to happen as I was sitting here

The spots will come and go often during this battle with ich. This is normal. The fact that it is eating is a good sign. I would most definitely take action on this fish asap, as I think I suggested earlier but may be confusing this with another tang/ich thread I've said to treat in...as it was pretty bad by looks of the picture. Either way, without actual treatment as garlic, ginger, whatever isn't an actual cure it is very unlikely to have recovery without a hypo/copper treatment.

Must be a different thread, different story here - the ick had not reached a late stage of infection when I noticed it. Not many trophonts. Also, from what I've read the fact that the fish is in great physical condition (weight, eating, no past infections, no skin blemishes, and not much fish competition) can sometimes lead to the fish fighting off the infection on its own.

However, if I did hypo I'd have to do all the fish for a month, so I'll wait a little while to see if and by how much the ich reproduces and tries to reinfect the fish. I don't want to put the fish in jeopardy, and I understand the exponential growth pattern of ick, however so far the fish seem to be in very good condition, and water quality is stable/on par. If any of that logic seems wrong, please let me know! I haven't had any previous SW ick adventures lol

Actually, once the cysts fell off you shouldn't see any showing back up. One of the life stages of ich is where it grows in the sandbed. If there is no sandbed, it could be that they are unable to continue through life. No proof towards that, but a freshwater dip might even do the trick. The entire reason for a lengthy QT is to not only watch the fish, but for the life cycle of ich to die out in the display. Sadly, it is in your display and only one thing can occur to change that bit if you choose to do so.

Seems like the two things to cover with ick are the infected fish and the tank, and qt for a few weeks does both. Also, I've read different opinions on the idea that ick exist in many if not all marine aquarium systems - just guessing that the infection of my fish has made this population much more prevalent?

Thanks for the advice on a hospital tank, I will start treatment tonight. Going to get that ick out of there no matter what :)

Thanks, seen the latter two - partly where the ginger idea came from.
About quarantine, I guess every hobbyist should ideally quarantine everything with water... Imo with the number of variables for the "average" hobbyist this rigorous qt practice and required tanks, equipment, and medications could outweigh the benefits of complete control. Seems like in 99% of cases with SW fish/invertebrate ailments the aquarist didn't take the required practice of quarantining the fish, or just made a mistake with water quality. But for public institutions or very serious reefkeepers high end quarantine seems like a necessity .

Back
Top Bottom