Giving up aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cls8s

Aquarium Advice Activist
Another death. This time a royal gramma. Water is testing perfectly by me and my LFS. Salt is 1.024. It was swimming upside down this morning, came back now and its dead.

Don't give up yet. :)

I just went through a horrible day yesterday and even thought of giving it all up but I realize this is where my passion is.

Stuff happens that sometimes makes no sense. My tang went from perfect to dead in 48hrs.

Sorry about your gramma, I have one so I know how cool they are.

Honestly you have something wrong going on. Check for heavy metals, sulfur, anything you can think of. Did you ever clean the tank with soap, bleach, anything? I would dump out the tank and give it a good wash, then use new RO/DI water and everything. Your tank must be contaminated with something. I mean, I had I've had an oil slick in my tank and nothing died.

I guess my ex was right about me. =(

I felt the same way when i lost my royal gramma, just keep going man.. it'll get better. all my fish are doing a whole lot better since i lost that gramma, im trying to stay on top of things. I found out one of my fish was already too stressed before i got him home and he died overnight (cleaner shrimp) so everything doesnt have to do with water quality.

I just did about an 80% water change. Everything seems to be lively except my Bicolor Blenny that now has his white stress spots.

Don't give up yet. I've been just trying to set up a tank since February or so. Nothing but obstacles so far but I keep plugging along.

You wanted a fish tank for a reason...........Don't forget that reason!!!!!!!! Just keep plugging along. :)

Don't give up yet. I've been just trying to set up a tank since February or so. Nothing but obstacles so far but I keep plugging along.

You wanted a fish tank for a reason...........Don't forget that reason!!!!!!!! Just keep plugging along. :)

My reason was to get women... :brows:

There's not a person on this whole forum who hasn't at one time or another thought the same thing ,.. Just about the time you think you know it all is usually when it'll strike,..you'll lose a critter for no apparent reason,your tank suddenly goes thru a algae outbreak or some other disaster seems to get the best of you,...well,..it's happened to us all,...BUT we all try to take these disasters and understand what and why it's happened and learn from our mistakes,.... You're not the first person here that lost a critter and I can guarantee you won't be the last
Sure, trying to take care of these aquariums and trying to play God to the livestock that we have chosen is not an easy task and at times it's pretty **** frustrating,.but we have chosen to do this voluntarily and as such it is our job to try to understand a little more of the whole underwater world and learn from it and to try to prevent it from happening again to you and others.
quitting is taking the easy way out ,..suck it up," rub some dirt in it", get off your butt and let's get going ..... This whole forum is not only dedicated to sharing the good times of the hobby but trying to help others to understand and learn thru the bad times also.

thats so true last night my giant cup mushroom ate my clownfish i had both clownfish for 6 months now the one left is just acting so sad made me feel terrible

I can keep inverts fine but am having fits with fish. It is frustrating when all parameters show perfect. And hackteck, that freaking avatar is killer!

Another shrimp is dead. It was doing better than I've seen it do since I've owned it, I walk upstairs and it's sucked to the powerhead........... AHHHHHHHHHH

I don't think I can be alone tonight...

You may have a lot of copper or some other heavy metal. Seriously, as long as you have a heavy metal or chemical it is going to remain in the system and keep killing things until you get it out.

Maybe some. Less than 0.2 in a day. The clown, crabs, and bicolor blenny are all fine. Today I lost the shrimp and a royal gramma. I don't get it.

Like I had said in a previous thread man, the pH. Fish/inverts hate one thing more than another and that's pH fluctuation. You need to keep that **** steady. .2 is alot bigger for fluctuation for those little twerps than you think. Be happy with keeping two or three fish until you get a good steady pH going. These are my last two cents. I've been preaching the same thing since the first thread. If you don't detect metals, but your pH fluctuates and your livestock keeps on dying like houseflies, then it's YOUR PH.

Also, have you ever thought that it may be the fact that your tank isn't fully cycled??? You started this tank about 17 days ago and have gone through 3 damsels, a royal gramma, green clown goby, and atleast two shrimp. Wait it out before adding anything else. Let your pH settle. Let everything settle. Patience young grasshopper.

You post and post and post of problems and some of us have been identifying your pH as a potential problem but you keep buying and killing fish without keeping it stable. If your intention is to ask and just do what you do, then why ask?.

carey said:
Don't give up yet. :)

I just went through a horrible day yesterday and even thought of giving it all up but I realize this is where my passion is.

Stuff happens that sometimes makes no sense. My tang went from perfect to dead in 48hrs.

Sorry about your gramma, I have one so I know how cool they are.

How did you acclimate it???

cls8s said:
I just did about an 80% water change. Everything seems to be lively except my Bicolor Blenny that now has his white stress spots.

A water change that much can start the tanks cycle all over, do no more then 50 ever 2-3 days only if need be.

Back
Top Bottom