Goniopora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cameron meier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a Goniopora for about 8 months now and it has always been very healthy and came out everyday. It is about the size of a baseball and won't come out anymore. All of my parameters are great and have moved it around a few times since but have not had any luck and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what it could be?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How long has it been like that and what are your parameters?
The sad thing is with this coral is that they do poorly in our aquariums. They 'do well' for awhile, but it is usually them slowly starving to death before they start receding until gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I found with LPSs they don't like to be moved around and can be very temperamental if they are also with that particular type of LPS they can be doing great one minute then all the sudden they start to close at for no apparent reason and nine times out of 10 eventually die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has it been like that and what are your parameters?
The sad thing is with this coral is that they do poorly in our aquariums. They 'do well' for awhile, but it is usually them slowly starving to death before they start receding until gone.

It has been probably about 2-3 weeks. I thought that it would eventually go away and get better. This is weird because every other coral is doing great. Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Phosphates: .5 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate: 2.5 ppm

.5 phosphates is extremely high. If this was a wild drag that could explain the deterioration. Aqua cultured ones are actually fairly easy now but the wild ones still don't like our systems. Do you have a pic

Oh my I'm very sorry for that it's definitely not that high it's .05. But I went to the fish store and apparently he told me that they can become very unhealthy when touch by human hands because the oils in our hand disturb them.

Goniopora/flower pot are beautiful corals one of my favorites , like stated above they are hard to keep in the aquarium , my very first one was the size of a cantaloupe I got lucky with this one , it lasted about 18 months , all the others always died off with in a 6 month time frame . they do require very stable parameters if off just a pinch it will react ,
the long tentacle flower pot seem to last a little longer in a aquarium.
the short tentacle flower pots seem to melt away fast,
knowing they only survive a short time it would be nice if they didn't cost so much

Goniopora/flower pot are beautiful corals one of my favorites , like stated above they are hard to keep in the aquarium , my very first one was the size of a cantaloupe I got lucky with this one , it lasted about 18 months , all the others always died off with in a 6 month time frame . they do require very stable parameters if off just a pinch it will react ,
the long tentacle flower pot seem to last a little longer in a aquarium.
the short tentacle flower pots seem to melt away fast,
knowing they only survive a short time it would be nice if they didn't cost so much

I totally agree[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom