Gosh Darn Petco!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got to say that the Petco here where I live did right by me. When i set up my tank he would only let me buy 4 zebra danios..to start. He advised me to add no more than two fish a week after the first two weeks. Of course I didn't listen. But he gave me good advice.

Ya my local Petco had a great guy when I first started out a little over a month ago... funny thing was the kid was younger than me and I am only 23 but he really knew a good deal. I think he went back to college and the guy who is 2x my age is an absolute idiot. He actually had to get a book to figure out which fish was which. Unfortunately they have good prices and occasionally have a descent selection (if you get there on the first or second day of shipment) but the care will probably suffer. If I go there I try to get there on the day they came in that way the fish are less likely to be sick (even though that is longer that they have to aclimate). I do have a LFS where I am that has an awesome selection but his prices are outrageous. A small Niger Trigger was like $35 there... My trigger was like $23 and he was bigger and in better shape. I can't really win with either I guess.

Ok I have another pet peeve (sp?) now. People who give iguanas away at the FAIR! I was at work and this little girl came up to me and was stroking a near death iguana (eyes closed, emaciated) , and was like "I need a heat rock" I was like "honey that iguana needs to go to the vet". After that ....I went and cried in the sump room. People will do anything for money.

Giving pets away as prizes is illeagal in many states and, IMO, should be illeagal in every state.

One of the best LFS in my area will post LARGE and BRIGHT signs all over their store for about a month before the local fairs and carnivals start up stating the law and related information, asking their patrons to reports any infractions to the local authorities and to not partake at any of those "Games"

Well, you guys know that because this is kinda our hobby, we have some responsiblility for the future of it.

Its kind of a tough thing. Becuase there isn't a whole lot we can do against places like Petco. A store manager is not going to be able to do anything about employee training when it comes to salt water fishes. Those decisions come from higher up. And I doubt that the "suits" will listen to reason.

What we can do however is exactly what lando did. We can help educate the buyer. There was unfortunatly a false perception inadvertantly put out there by our good friends at Pixar that Salt Water Fishkeeping was easy. and we need to work to counter act this perception. Luckly, kids these days dont hang on anything for more than 5 minutes, and once this movie is a few years old, the "nemo craze" will Die down. I just thank god that most of the Clowns purchased by good intentioned parents were Tank Raised, Unfortunately I doubt any of the regals were.

We can, and must, demand that our suppliers be as environmentally responsible as we want them to be. If we continue to demand more Tank-Raised stock, If we purchase only net caught specimens, and If we purchase only tank-raised frags, and aqua cultured rock, We can ensure a bright and beautiful future for the hobby, our tanks, and most importantly, our reefs.

Great Job Lando!, and Great Job to everyone who is working to protect our fishy friends!

Back
Top Bottom