Growth on lip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had this clown from when he was little. I noticed a small bump on his lip but could never get a good clean picture. He has grown a bit and so has this bump and I want to help. Is this a birth defect of some sort of growth that can be treated? He is eating fine and I would like to do something if it can be treated. Thanks in advance... Louie

Attachments

• 3p1010002_512.jpg
    3p1010002_512.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 76
  • 3p1010004_177.jpg
    3p1010004_177.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 88
This is likely a physical trauma but could also be genetic and judging from the photo it doesn't appear to be a tumor or any other ailment. Is your clown lethargic? Is the lip disintegrating or discolored? Has it maintained shape with growth?

As long as it's still eating it should be fine and your clown appears generally healthy.

Also this is sometimes observed when a clown changes sexes.

Providing good water parameters and using Kent Garlic Extreme, Selcon, & Zoe to help boost it's immune should help as well.

Looks like it could be a Thyroid Tumor. It can be treated with iodine for a few weeks. Try using potassium iodide and iodine. You should notice is residing between 2-4 weeks, if not, it could be a malignant tumor (no treatment).
Treatment:
.5g iodine
5 g of potassium iodide
dissolve those into 100ml [100x.003=3 fluid ounces]of water (sorry, my book was written based on metric and a mathly person will have to translate to Gallons)
add 1 ml [1x.03=.03 fluid ounces]
(of the solution) per 50 liters [50x.26=13 Gallons], don't run carbon.This should be added after each PWC.
This book has a metric converter, someone check my math!!
Basically, mix .5g iodine 5 g of potassium iodide in a 3 ounce or larger container, add .43 ounces to your tank, wait a week, do a PWC and re-add the next bach, keep this up for 2-4 weeks.
Here is my math for the amount going into the tank
185 total volume/13G=14.23x.03=.426 of treatment

He seems to be getting worse, When it came to feeding time he was unable to eat, his mouth is stuck in an open position now and he keeps on sucking on the tips of the hammer coral as if it is soothing. This tank is a 20 gal at work. Roka64 I assume I will need to do this treatment in a Qt tank do to the iodine? I have inverts in my tank. Thanks

Treatment should be performed in QT IMO since NSW iodine is only 0.01-0.02ppm and overdosing can be harmful to other stock.

I agree, it should be done in a QT, sorry, I forgot to mention that. Do not use the numbers I stated, since your QT is probably a lot smaller than your main tank.
What sized QT?
I also would try soaking your frozen in garlic extreme, zoe and selcon.

He is not doing so well his mouth is still stuck full in the open position and has had no food since. Looks like he is lethargic and weak, I don't think he is going to make it, but I don't want to destroy him either. I feel bab for the poor little fella. :(

I was able to to catch him im my office tank and he is now home in 10 gal Qt. Treatment has been started here is my math. .5g Iodine= .52ml, 5g potassium iodide= 5.2ml

10 total volume/13G=.7692x.03=.023 oz of treatment = .68ml

I am using a siringe for mesurment so .68ml=.68cc per week after partial water changes for 2 to 4 weeks.

Please does this look right or am I base. Tanks for all your help. Louie

That is correct.
On another note, your shrimp need iodine/iodide to promote healthy molting, but that should be replenished with regular PWCs.

I am Happy today :D , My clown is able to eat again, I know its only been 3 days since I started treatment and it seems to be working. Should I treat him for the full 4 weeks? Are there any dangers for treating him longer? Or do I just keep treating until the growth is gone? Also once it is gone will it return (an I will have to start treating again) or never come back.

Thanks.. Lou

Cool, I would say continue the treatment for the whole 4 weeks, just to be on the safe side, unless anyone else has personal experience. That small amount is not enough to harm him. I believe there might be a possibility it may come back or not.

Thank the book I bought, Dieter Untergasser's "Handbook of Fish Diseases".
I hope he recovers, please keep us updated.

Ang new updates? I'm just wondering if it has noticebly gone down.

Back
Top Bottom