Gulping for air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI I hope someone can get back ASAP
our guppies are staying at the top of the tanks gulping for air, they have been like this for 3 day, we sort advice and were told to keep changing the water until the bacteria cycle has kicked in, the water has been changed 3 times, we have used a mix that removes chlorine called prime and quick start which adds bacteria, we have added salt nothing has worked - we have some water that we put aside with prime added should be remove the fish from teh tank and put them in the water we have set aside?????

please help we don't think they will make it through the night!!!!!!!!!

Craig and Janine

Sounds like they have no oxygen. Do you have a filter or aerator on the tank?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The bacteria cycle can take around 6 weeks to finish, so until then you need to do daily water changes (50% most likely) so they are not poisoned by high levels of ammonia and nitrite. I would encourage you to get your water tested for these things at you lfs is you don't have your own test kit. The other thing could be oxygenation of the water like wrasse said. Do you have a filter/bubbler? What kind is it and what size is your tank? This info will help people help you

Back
Top Bottom