Hair algae and dead stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncspradlin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,
I posted a thread a couple months ago about my leather (size of a dinner plate) fatality that poisened my tank. After 50% water changes x 4 now I still have issues.
After I lost EVERYTHING except 3 of my fish this is what is left.

125gallon SW Reef, 30gal sump, Remora protein skimmer, 150/200lbs live rock, 2inches of live sand substrate (probably dead sand now). I have only 3 fish left (one dwarf angel, one powder blue tang, and one red chromis wrasse) I have 2 new serpent stars that still look good after a couple weeks. I have almost no snails or hermits. Every time I add them they die within a week or so. I can't keep any corals alive (only trying zoes until this is fixed) Have tons of hair algae and a large growth of a lettuce type red algae thriving. My macro in the sump is doing fine. I have lost all of my pods and most of my bristle worm population.

My parameters are all fine: Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Phos 0, ph 8.2, alk 12dkh, Copper 0. I run poly floss and running charcoal right now. Also use algone. I top off with tap water treated with dechlorinator and phos remover. I use 50/50 actinic 130w pc x 2 and 150watt mh x 3. Blues on for 12hr, white for 10hr.

I have tried scrubbing out hair algae. I have tested for everything I can think of. I have started topping off with only RO water but I have been using tap since the inception of my reef over 4 years ago without a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can test for or how to fix my problem. I cant stand to see everything dying all the time. I am afraid to add anything until I know it is fixed but I have no idea how to tell when that is...

Can you post some pics of your tank?

I don't mean to sound harsh but if you are having a serious problem with hair algae then you water parameters are not "fine". There is a source in your water that is feeding them. The best step you have taken so far is starting to use RO water.

I see you are testing for copper is there a reason you started testing for it? Did you use a medication that was copper based?

I think the best thing you can do right now is to do multiple PWCs, using the RO water as your source. When you do a PWC make sure to mix the water up for at least 24 hours before you use it. A powerhead and a heater in the mixing conatiner will help you out in this.

Well Ziggy, I know you didn't mean to sound harsh but you are making assumptions that you should not! If there are other parameters than those I posted that I can check my tap water for I would have done it. I have researched and researched and cannot find anything else to test except DOCs which I can't test as it is already "salted" water! As you can see by the parameters that I listed THEY WERE all "fine".

I understand that there must be something else in the water that is the culpret which is why my post was to question "what else can I test for and what do I do now?"

I do not need a lecture on how to keep my tank, just asking for some advice. I am not new to this hobby just because I don't take time to post to this list regularly.

You should not assume that someone is new just because they dont have a billion green bullets next to their name. I have a full time job and kids - ya know... a life!

Sorry if I sounded "harsh"!

Back to your question. I tested for copper because I have copper pipes in my house and thought maybe they leached copper. I would never use copper meds on my reef.

I mix my water for 40hrs before a water change and always heat it and check the pH before I add it.

I have been using the same tap water for the last 4 years in this tank and have never had a problem until now. I understand that there must be something new in the city water just wondered what it may be...

Please be careful how you answer/ask questions to people. If I were "new" to this I would probably unsubscribe from this site just because you made me feel stupid!

wow you need to chill out a bit here. No one is implying your stupid or that you don't know how to take care of your tank. He was just trying to help and since he doesn't know your level of expertise i would guess that the basics are a good place to start. Hair algae consumes nitrates and phosphates from the water. so even if your tests are showing 0 that is most likely because the algae is using all the excess nutrients. Like kurt said you won't find much help if you start flying off the handle at people after every post... good luck

Well in an effort to get this back on track I`m going to say that when you come on this site and ask questions then you agree to take the good with the bad. We dont make a habit over on this site to tell you what you want to hear. I thought some good advice was thrown your way. As Allen said Hair algea has to have a fuel source. If excessive nutrients were not available then the hair algea could not grow. Please refrain from attacks on other posters that are trying to help. You can either accept or reject the advice but you will not be able to attack their character.

Wow-- All I have to say is I love AA and all it's Moderators and Mentors ! Your honest feedback, which is not always what I "want" to hear, has made my newbie life so much easier :)

Back
Top Bottom