Handling Copperband question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali-fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I got myself a very nice Copperband and I know that it is difficult to keep one due to not eating in captive issue. But still I couldn't resist not buying this guy specially that am having many small size apatisia in my tank. So it is like nice addition to my 125g tank + getting rid of the apatisia at the same time. Am trying to feed him different kind of food but no success so far. I have some shellfish in my freezer and am planning to get one, cut into small pieces, mixed it with mysis shrimp, soak them in garlic for 30min and serve him tonight. I hope this will help.

It is now in my QT for two days. But I read in one post that there is no need to QT a copperband and I was wondering how accurate is this? because my QT might be small for him and cause him to be more stressed.

One more thing, shall I put him in a breeding net once introduced to my DT or no need for this. I don't have aggressive fish that might bully him, but I would like to do this to new comers.

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

Here is the picture of my guy in the QT

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413210246.114652.jpg

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

Yes you should QT. They can have any disease that any other fish could have. No, I would not put it in a net breeder when it's ready to be introduced to the tank. ( If the fish are not compatible from the start, this fish should not be put in there with them.)

As for feeding, I have had many a copperband start eating when I put in a fresh or frozen clam or scallop that I opened and sliced in half. It''s a natural food that the fish recognizes so they are more willing to try it. In fact, I used to go to the seafood market once every 3 weeks and get a dozen clams, take them home and slice them open and freeze them. So I had 24 "special" meals for my fish doing this. This "trick" worked for getting many fish to start eating ( Butterflies, Moorish Idols, Heniochus, Angelfish for example). You can also add and freeze some other foods into the clam shells so the fish are getting more than just the clam or scallop. Once you get them going on feeding, you can add other foods to their diet as well. FYI: With Copperbands, worms would be a good addition.

Hope this helps

Yes you should QT. They can have any disease that any other fish could have. No, I would not put it in a net breeder when it's ready to be introduced to the tank. ( If the fish are not compatible from the start, this fish should not be put in there with them.)

As for feeding, I have had many a copperband start eating when I put in a fresh or frozen clam or scallop that I opened and sliced in half. It''s a natural food that the fish recognizes so they are more willing to try it. In fact, I used to go to the seafood market once every 3 weeks and get a dozen clams, take them home and slice them open and freeze them. So I had 24 "special" meals for my fish doing this. This "trick" worked for getting many fish to start eating ( Butterflies, Moorish Idols, Heniochus, Angelfish for example). You can also add and freeze some other foods into the clam shells so the fish are getting more than just the clam or scallop. Once you get them going on feeding, you can add other foods to their diet as well. FYI: With Copperbands, worms would be a good addition.

Hope this helps

I was so motivated after reading your reply thinking that I will be able to win this challenge. But unfortunately, I just arrived home from work and saw him dead.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413226345.103868.jpg

But still, I saved ur reply as reference for me for future needs.

Thanks man

========

Sorry to hear this. :( Next time, you should try either live brine or the clam/scallop immediately as soon as possible ( assuming you are not medicating the fish for a disease.) Getting the fish to feed is always a good sign and should be something the fish is doing at the dealer you get them from.

Good luck (y)

Sorry to hear this. :( Next time, you should try either live brine or the clam/scallop immediately as soon as possible ( assuming you are not medicating the fish for a disease.) Getting the fish to feed is always a good sign and should be something the fish is doing at the dealer you get them from.

Good luck (y)

Honestly, I am thinking not to buy any fish like this anymore as it keeps you busy where You can simply have another beautiful, easy to keep and hardy fish. Say triggers, lion fish, puffers, cardinals, clowns, tangs and a lot others. I am not giving up already but am trying to balance things. I can have higher rate of success in training lion fish to eat frozen food over digging for a worm or make a weekly visit to a fish market ( which am already doing lol)

Anyway, thank you big for all the tips. Ill def will pass them to anyone is struggling to feed a copperband

Ali

========

Copperbands can be tricky depending on where you get them from. For what it's worth, I have also had good success keeping other " Chelmons", from Australia (i.e. C. marginalis, C muelleri) so if you are still looking for that "unique" fish that's not as hard to keep, you may want to check into one of these. (y)

Now you've made me miss my saltwater tanks :( :lol:

Ali-fish, The worms Andy was refering to are black worms available is some LFSs, not earth worms. Not sure they are available in UAE.

Copperbands are a challenge to be sure but so worth it when you get them out of QT and into your DT. A spectacular fish.

I commend you for QTing your fish. Many people do not QT and eventually pay a price.

Good luck comes to those who prepare for success. You are doing the right thing for success.

Dick

Back
Top Bottom