has my hard coral died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rancidpetals

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought my first hard coral. I bought a piece of 3 different kind, (they are all birds nest type coral, branchy) and one of them has lost all it's color since I put it in my tank. It used to be a purply color. I have no idea what kinds I bought, but the other two have retained all their color. The one I am concerned about is just a little bit lower in my tank than the other two, but it is directly below the halide. All three of the frags are higher in my tank than they were in the tank I bought them from. Basically, how can you tell if a hard coral has died?

It would be much better if we could see it. Just changing color only does not mean it`s dead. It could be just bleached.

Get some pictures. Just don't take it out yet I thought mine was completely dead, it was a tiny little frag that I had gotten. I put it in brighter light and it is starting to open up and turn pink. I know there is die off but still after 2 weeks of being totally white I am happy it looks like I will get a decent growth after awhile.

31457-albums1141-picture9907.jpg

I took about 20 pics and this is honestly the best picture I could get with the camera I had. sorry about the fuzzyness. I hope someone can still help me.

I don't know if it is dead or not but try moving it to more light and change the flow.

It's right under the halide!!!! It was a purply color when I got it. I said that in my original post. IDK what to do about it. My LFS said you could see it's skeleton if it died. I don't even know what that would look like. I guess I'll give it a while longer and see what happens. Thanks for all your "help".

Looks completely bleached. Is your light much higher PAR than what it was under?
It looks like it needed to be light acclimated to your tank. All the Zooxanthellae have left the coral due to too much light or too high a temperature.

How are the other frags doing?

Back
Top Bottom