Heat issues. Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TattooedTanker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came home from work today to fin all my corals ( minus the zoas) limp or retracted. I checked all my parameters and all looked well. I noticed as I put my hand in the water that it was hot as hell. My temp was off the chart. Literally off the chart.. My thermometer maxes out at 86*F I tested all my PHs and my heater. All looked well. But mu sump was a little low and the return pump was very worm. I guess I need to now is it better to cool down quickly or slowly.( over what time frame) all my fish looked happy and healthy as always but for the safety of all the tank mates what should I do?? Please help.

bring your temp down slow slow slow
as for grammar we will leave that for the grammar warts lol:D

Cool down slow. Drastic changes are bad. They say you don't want more than a two degree per day fluctuation, but with your tank that hot, it might be okay to go a little beyond that.

Lol thanks. I have been pulling a gallon out a a time and placing it outside. ( im in Colorado and its about 39F out right now. I have it down to around 86F now and have left the canopy open. I also moved my powerhead more towards the top. I hope this will slowly lower the temp. Thanks for the info :)

As of now I can only assume it was my return pump failing. I will get a new one in the AM

Was it still pumping, even though it was warm? How did you test your heater? I'm betting the heater thermostat isn't working properly. That's pretty common with aquarium grade heaters.

After lowing it about 3* I noticed the heater has not turned on yet. I am not sure it isn't the heater yet but I have unplugged it just in case. The return pump was still working but it was much hotter to the touch than the water.

They all generate a little heat, but if it's still pumping, i can't see how it's doing anything more than usual. Open it up and inspect the impeller. There isn't much to these pumps.

I'm no rocket doctor :) but a broken impeller blade might cause some issues. I have also noticed more bubbles in my DT. Could this be the issue?

I found the fitting from the return pump to the return hose was not attached fully and was allowing water to drip back to the sump. I figure this might be where the air is getting in. I replaced the impeller and am really impressed with the improved flow rate. I also stopped at the LFS and got a new 200w heater. Unfortunately my pulsating xinia has wilted and died. All of my pallies, candy canes and zoas are doing pretty well. I just cross my fingers and hope it all turns out well.

Lol I have see some tanks overtaken with it. What would be a good addition that adds a similar "wave" look to the tank?

I like Euphyllia (frogspawn, torch, hammer) and I also like Plerogyra and Physogyra (bubble coral). Both will jiggle a bit in the current.

Back
Top Bottom