Heliofungia coral not looking good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got this on Friday for my biocube 29. Changed to LED s the next day and I'm slowly acclimating the tank. It was puffed up the first two days but now it looks like this. Maybe the lights are too dim and need to be raised? It's not inflating like it was

SG- 1.025
Nitrate- 0-5
Phos- 0- .25
Ph- 8.0
Alk-11. It was 5 last night, used buffer to raise it.uploadfromtaptalk1424845199241.jpg

A shift from 5dkh to 11 in a day can irritate a lot of corals (or worse), you need to get a handle on those swings. And should your alk drop to 5 again SLOWLY bring it back up into range.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A shift from 5dkh to 11 in a day can irritate a lot of corals (or worse), you need to get a handle on those swings. And should your alk drop to 5 again SLOWLY bring it back up into range.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
+1

....not to mention these have very high mortality rates in closed systems.

+1

....not to mention these have very high mortality rates in closed systems.
When you say closed system, you mean the biocube hood? Will opening the feeder tray and rear chambers tray help? Also, all the other corals are fine

I mean anywhere, but the ocean. A closed system is an aquarium. The hood or not makes no difference. There are a few corals that don't belong out of the ocean and these are on that list, along with Indonesian Elegance, Goniopora, Alveopora, most of the non-photosynthetic corals, (Carnations, Chili Coral, Gorgonians)...

I mean anywhere, but the ocean. A closed system is an aquarium. The hood or not makes no difference. There are a few corals that don't belong out of the ocean and these are on that list, along with Indonesian Elegance, Goniopora, Alveopora, most of the non-photosynthetic corals, (Carnations, Chili Coral, Gorgonians)...
Yes, I didn't buy an elegance for that reason. Also bad a gonipora that didn't live too long. Had a plate coral once that lived a week. This one looked really good at the lfs, :(. Anyhow, my substrate is a medium sized sand. So you think a finer sand would suit the heliofungia? It did move over an inch to the right yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom