Help - dying fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

force of habit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have an Orangetail Blue Damselfish that has been swimming in one corner of the aquarium. As of today, his breathing is extremely rapid and he keeps swimming towards the top. He did go to his sleeping area early. He has been coming out and laying on the sand bottom. We did all of our tests and all are normal. The other fish are fine. Is there anything we can do for him?

Could be a few things but if the damsel is the only fish showing symptoms it could be caused by the aggression of other tankmates. What other fish are in the 55 gal and do you have a QT if needed?

Other than that, I would suspect low ph/O2 or possibley this is a newer fish that was either hurt during capture/transport or may not have been acclimated properly.

Any other possible signs other than rapid breathing? Odd swimming patterns, poor appetite, color or skin afflictions?

Cheers
Steve

Tank mates are a clown fish, a dwarf flame angel, and a yellow wrasse. This was the first fish put in the tank. That was about 7 weeks ago. He and all other fish have been good. All eat well. He has started laying on the sand on leaning over on his side. Tha dwarf is trying to get him to move around but he just goes and hides on the bottom now. He has a white spot on his side. I'm not sure if it is some kind of illness or an mark forom an attack. I feel so helpless.

force of habit said:
He has a white spot on his side. I'm not sure if it is some kind of illness or an mark forom an attack.
This is most likley what is causing the problem and could easily be from fighting or some other abbrassion. What might be best at this point depending on the fish's health is to QT the damsel so it may get better without the interaction of the other fish. If the affliction is too far gone though it may push the fish over the edge.

Is the white spot larger than a grain of rice, have texture (fluffy/smooth) and is there any redness anywhere?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom