Help fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmartin722

Aquarium Advice Activist
All of my fish have started dying one at a time and I don't understand why. I haven't made any changes to the tank. All levels are where they should be. Salt level was high but once I topped off the tank it is back where should be. Friday my niger trigger passed. Saturday my sailfin and firefish. Now this morning looks like clowns and foxface aren't doing good. I have no idea what could be causing it. I did a 25% water change yesterday and seemed to help for a while. Corals look ok but inverts, fish, and nems aren't. Anyone have any ideas? Ph is at 8. Ammonia is 0 or maybe 0.25. Nitrite 0 and nitrate 10 ppm.

Maybe it can be something else killing your fish, like another animal in your tank you don't know about that hitchhiked on your live rock?

Is there any chance that something toxic was introduced? Cleaning products or something on you hands or arms if you ever have them in your water.

What water are you using for water changes and to top off? Maybe something there?

Also...kinda odd to have ammonia if the tank is cycled, so maybe something is going on there?

I believe it has been due to lack of oxygen in the water. Guess why water changes made temporary improvements. The ammonia if present was probable due to loss of livestock. Has always been zero before and is now. Did manage to save my two orange clowns, two nems, urchin, and my zebra eel. All in all lost about $250.00 in livestock. It was a very rough weekend.

tmartin722 said:
I believe it has been due to lack of oxygen in the water. Guess why water changes made temporary improvements. The ammonia if present was probable due to loss of livestock. Has always been zero before and is now. Did manage to save my two orange clowns, two nems, urchin, and my zebra eel. All in all lost about $250.00 in livestock. It was a very rough weekend.

Sorry to hear :( one question though how was it lacking oxygen? Tide lid? No power heads?? I would like to avoid this problem it's scary thinking about it.

I do have a lid and powerhead. From what I understand there has to be some surface disturbance to keep oxygen levels up.

Correct. Lack of oxygen exchange is bad. It does not take much agitation to work though.

Sorry about the loses though. I had something happen to a tank years ago and lost close to $500 in fish. I think it got something from the outside because my parameters were ideal and the fish did not show any signs of disease. I had some of them for years, so it was rough losing them all.

Back
Top Bottom