HELP!!! How effective is a cleaner shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I have just been hit with white spot and have QT'd as many fish as possible but still have 2 fish in the main..

x1 Naso Tang - no white spot, what seems to be a salty build up on its lips.. (bacterial infection?)
x1 Maculosus Angel - white spot
x1 Sailfin Tang - white spot
x2 Tomato Clowns - white spot

x1 Lunar Wrasse, x1 Bi Colour Blennie.. FINE but will QT when other fish are done

x1 Zebra Moray HE IS FINE.. go the slime.. no white spot can get him!

In 2 days my lfs has cleaner shrimp coming in..

How effective are these in eliminating white spot, do they even eliminate it? What is their role as far as parasite removal is concerned? I have never owned these before..

Just abit worried because these guys dont come cheap in Australia.. a 1inch specimen costing $150!!!!

I have got x2 2 inch shrimps on order..

Thanks,

Matt

Neon gobies are known to nip ich cysts off other fish. They're from the Carribean so they might be pricey in Australia, even if you get aquacultured.

Sorry to say that you may have to go fishless in the main for 6 - 8 weeks. I wouldn't rely on a cleaner shrimp (or neon gobies) to solve your problem. If there have been other fish with ick, now in QT, and 2 more still in the tank, there are most likely some that are free swimming also. Fishless or hyposalinity may be your only choices.

There are others 'round here that'll explain the dif between the two and give you the pros and cons. But by all means, don't rely on a couple of cleaner shrimp.

Good luck.

thanks everyone, wasnt planning on relying on cleaner shrimp, just asking if they actually help with white spot issues.

I can and cant go fishless.. i will have to leave my zebra moray in there, but i guess thats fishless because of their slimey mucus membrane they arent affected.

thanks everyone, wasnt planning on relying on cleaner shrimp, just asking if they actually help with white spot issues.
They may help give fish some relief but by no mean will help effect a cure.

I can and cant go fishless.. i will have to leave my zebra moray in there, but i guess thats fishless because of their slimey mucus membrane they arent affected.
He may be reisitant, but can help the paraisite survive in the main tank. It only takes one to start the infestation all over again.
What is your plan with the shrimp? The treatment would kill the shrimp in the qt and the eel may eat him in the main. IMO, I would save the money.

I used to have ich problems all the time. However, ever since i added 4 cleaners, and MH bulbs i havnt had a parasite outbreak in a very long time. I have had new fish come in with ich but it doesnt even bother me anymore, my cleaner shrimp just clean them over time. and i mention MH bulbs because ever since i added them i have to add 5 gals every 3 days due to evaporation. And slowly the ich exits my tank. at one point i had 4 cleaners and 4 of my fish had ich, the cleaners prevented the ich from multiplying on them, but about a weak later when i add MH, all of the evap started takeing place, and in about a week all the ich was gone.

by the way i also have a 9w uv sterilizer 8O

Macs are tough. Mine made it through a velvet outbreak.
As for the eel, I have been researching it ( i never had an eel) and I can't see to find much. Perhaps someone else will chime it. I'm just concerned that it could still be a potential host, even if it does not become symptomatic.

Thats a strong fish.. Ive been researching for the past 2 days and I cant find anything..Ill keep looking...

As for the mac.. or fish infected in general.. eating well is a good sign? As long as they are eating I have a chance of beating this correct? Generally when they stop eating I know I'm in a spot of bother..

Mac + others eating like monsters and adding Zoe vitamins to their food..

If theres one thing Ive never been able to do is beat ICH..! I hope i can this time..!

3rd time lucky..

i had a bad outbrake and the eel never got it at all i hypo'ed the tank wich got rid of the ich but the bacterial infections did more damage than the ich and now the 2 surviving fish are developing hlle

Back
Top Bottom