HELP!!! I have ICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rushopkins

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just purchased a powder blue tang and 24 hours later it has ick and my flame angel has a little also now. How do I get rid of this with out killing my cleaner shrimp and snails?

Hi sorry hear that but your going have to set up qt and treat fish only with copper or hypo. If go on sick fish page some good info on ich.

You need to get a QT, and get some copper treatment, i likd coppersafe personally, get a HOB and a heater, fill the QT with tank water, get some media from your DT and treat until it gets better. Heres how i setup my QT:
>10g tank
>Aqueon quietflow 20 HOB
>Aqueon 100W heater
>1" PVC pipes

Treatment:
Coppersafe made by sentry

image-1652015678.jpg

Pretty simple, also you gotta do 10% WC every other day to keep parameters down.

You need to get a QT, and get some copper treatment, i likd coppersafe personally, get a HOB and a heater, fill the QT with tank water, get some media from your DT and treat until it gets better. Heres how i setup my QT: >10g tank >Aqueon quietflow 20 HOB >Aqueon 100W heater >1" PVC pipes Treatment: Coppersafe made by sentry Pretty simple, also you gotta do 10% WC every other day to keep parameters down.
So I don't need to treat the entire tank? Only the two fish?

Entire tank, might need a bigger QT tank, also you have to let the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks without fish. Invertabrates can stay
I'm a little confused. If I'm treating the whole tank why do I need to remove the fish? Or did you mean all the fish need to be treated?

You cannot treat your tank with copper. It will kill your inverts and leach into your rock . You need to treat all with with copper or hyposalinity in a separate tank and leave the main tank without fish for a minimum of 8 weeks .

My understanding here is that saltwater ich needs a host fish and without the fish the parasite will die off right? So you remove all fish and treat separately in QT and let the main tank stay empty of fish long enough for the parasite to die off without a host?

Sorry im a freshie lurking in the salt forums because im going to be getting into saltwater at some point...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My understanding here is that saltwater ich needs a host fish and without the fish the parasite will die off right? So you remove all fish and treat separately in QT and let the main tank stay empty of fish long enough for the parasite to die off without a host?

Sorry im a freshie lurking in the salt forums because im going to be getting into saltwater at some point...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep exactly right. The dt will need to be left without fish for about 6 weeks to kill off all the ich and the fish can be treated in quarantine via hypo or copper.
In the future this could be avoided 2 ways: set up a quarantine for all new arrivals and don't get a fish that is prone to breakout super easily for to small of a tank. Powder blues love to swim, he probably stressed super easily from acclimation and only being in a 4 foot tank.

I cannot stress enough that the tank needs to be fallow for a minimum of 8 weeks . At 6 weeks you are 95% ich free . At 8 weeks your over 99% ich free. Also not to scare anyone but the longest recorded time ich has been in a tank without fish is 13 weeks .
Not very common but it can happen . Please be patient and wait the full 8 weeks .

Ok so I now have my flame angel and blue chromis in a qt and started sentry coppersafe treatment. Do I need to also increase the temp and lower the salinity?

Back
Top Bottom