Help! Ick? On regal tang.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heera

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thursday I just got this tang from a person who was selling their tank. She been in his tank for a year. He had no problems. His parameters were same as mine so I acclimated and added to my tank.

Yesterday just noticed some white marks near the tail on black body area. It's not raised skin it's just white spots. I tried to take the pic if u look closely u can see them.

What should I do?

My tank parameters are;
ammonia and nitrite- 0, nitrate-15
(water change overdue)
Temp-78, salinity- 1.026,
Also been running a uv sterilizer for 2 weeks. On at day off at night.

Attachments

• image-167780694.jpg
    image-167780694.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3277355609.jpg
    image-3277355609.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 126
Do you have a qt tank set up? How big is the tank that hes in right now? What other fish are in that tank?

I do have a 10 gallon tank I can use as qt. right now in 50g tank. With yellow tang, royal gramma, and 2 clowns fish. I did see a bit of tail fighting with yellow tang for first day but now only at feeding time.

(I am in the process of setting up my 90 gallon tank. Picking up the stand on Tuesday to start setup.)

Ya that isnt good. If a 90 gallon is as big as you can go then thats a problem. Blue tangs need a 180 gallon aquarium and yellow tangs need at least a 100 gallon. Is your blue tang full size?

That is why you have ich. Blue tangs get ich very easily as it is, and cramming him into a tiny tank isnt helping.

Ya that isnt good. If a 90 gallon is as big as you can go then thats a problem. Blue tangs need a 180 gallon aquarium and uellow tangs need at least a 100 gallon. Os your blue tang full size?

That is why you have ich. Blue tangs get ich very easily as it is, and cramming him into a tiny tang isnt helping.

I have to agree. the 50g tank is not helping the situation at all. Blue tangs get ich at the drop of a hat it seems and lots of times it has to do with tank size. They require a 6 foot tank to be happy and healthy. The yellow might be ok in a 90g, not the choice I would make but it can probably be done.

Good luck!

It looks more to me like velvet than ick.

The tang is 5". The person i got it from had it in 60 gallon for 1.5 yrs. No prob he said.

Anyways. Advice taken the blue tang has to go.:(
I will post it on craigslist and ask lfs.
But I don't think anyone would want him while he is sick.

I would like to keep yellow tang but if you guys feel she has to go too. Than I guess has to go too.:(

What else can I keep in 90g than.

So what do I do now. How do i cure the fish and make sure it's gone from Tank.

Velvet will move and kill a lot faster than ich ..
You will have to give all your fish a formalin bath ASAP..don't wait to long to do this

FTMMWS said:
Velvet will move and kill a lot faster than ich ..
You will have to give all your fish a formalin bath ASAP..don't wait to long to do this

Where do I get formalin from?
For all the fish?

And after the bath should I put them all in qt or back in the tank?

Most LFS's will have it...not the chain stores ,,they usually only sell the 3% stuff..You'll need the 37% formaldehyde solution...I have used stuff called quick cure before and it worked great...The fish will have to go into a QT not the DT...your DT is infected now..Whichever it is (ick or velvet) will have to starve and die ..No fish means no host ,,so 6 weeks fallow is best ...So many people don't do this and the end result is a constant battle with said diseases ...I did a fallow tank 6 years ago and never had a single issue since ..Good QT is key in keeping disease out of your DT for good..
Good luck and follow the directions on the quick cure bottle and your fish should be fine

FTMMWS said:
Most LFS's will have it...not the chain stores ,,they usually only sell the 3% stuff..You'll need the 37% formaldehyde solution...I have used stuff called quick cure before and it worked great...The fish will have to go into a QT not the DT...your DT is infected now..Whichever it is (ick or velvet) will have to starve and die ..No fish means no host ,,so 6 weeks fallow is best ...So many people don't do this and the end result is a constant battle with said diseases ...I did a fallow tank 6 years ago and never had a single issue since ..Good QT is key in keeping disease out of your DT for good..
Good luck and follow the directions on the quick cure bottle and your fish should be fine

Thanks so much. I will try going to lfs now.

I think that the yellow tang can stay in your 90g. I have one in my 75g and he's doing just fine. I hope no one asks me what my definitely of fine is... Haha. I think every other reef and fish forum will agree with me on the size for the yellow tang.

Just an update.
Qt tank is running at:
Temp-80, salinity-1.018, ammonia,nitrite,nitrite -0
Daily water change.
Sponge filter.

Couldn't not find formalin. Lfs don't have it. So started ick attack (natural) and garlic soaked food.

Eat like a pig. but still few spots.

Not Treating dt but watching the fish very closely for any signs.

Either raise the salinity to 1.026 or if you plan on doing hypo, drop it to 1.009. Keeping it at 1.018 does nothing. Read the links Mike posted regarding ich and choose a treatment. The reef safe "natural" meds are useless and garlic won't kill ich.

Thanks. For the reply.

I did go through the links.
Garlic to keep the fish eating and boost immune system.( he is eating like a pig)

Anyone have any experience with "Ick attack"?? That's what I have.

I am going to hypo salinity aim was 1.010 but over few days with freshwater drip.

Seems like things are pointing towards copper meds.

I just want to think everyone for their help. My tang is doing great there is no sign of ick on him. I used freshwater dips daily and copper meds.

He is eating great.
I will keep him in qt for a bit longer.

I did not see any sign of ick on any other fish. So do I need to threat them too?

I had bought a coral on a live rock.
After that two of my snails I found dead.
Than I found 2 small long white snails on the turbo snail.
They look very close to Luetzenia asthenosomae snails pics I found online.

How big of a trouble am I in?

Q- can I ask here or start a new thread.

Plz advice.

Attachments

• image-3760825989.jpg
    image-3760825989.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3796449897.jpg
    image-3796449897.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 76
Here is better pic from the web. And I do have one nassarius dead and one Astraea.

It keeps getting better :(

Attachments

• image-185558680.jpg
    image-185558680.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom