Help my Coral Beauty!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff&Lacey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! We bought a Coral Beauty Angel today. He was perfectly fine in the store, they told me that he had been there for a few months and he was doing really well. I brought him home and acclimated him the drip method way in a bucket for 2 hours, His breathing was a little heavy but I expected that. Now he's laying on his side in the tank breathing really hard...not gasping...its rapid breathing. He does get up and swim every so often but not for long. The tank is a 55 gallon, water perimeters are perfect as well as salinity ( i test once a week ). I realize he's probly stressed but Ive read in so many places that CB Angels are pretty hardy. Whats wrong with him??? I REALLY dont want to lose him! Thanks in advance!!

Please give exact numbers on your water test readings. What is the salinity? PH? These things, if majorly different from the store you bought it at, dictate for how long you should drip acclimate. With it being stressed like that, I would say it HAS to be an acclimation issue.

At this point in time. Leave the fish alone, turn off tank lights and hope for the best. (This being based on the fact you said the fish was healthy at the store)

Thanks for quick response! Salinity is 1.022, Nitrate 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, alkalinity 180ppm, PH 8.4. Now according to my test kit these are all fine...??? Im thinking that I need to get a bigger test kit though as this one doesnt test for everything...any way...I bought a Yellow Tang too and he is fine, I bought him from the same store, acclimated the same length of time and everything and he's doing awesome ( quickly becoming my fav fish ). I usually ALWAYS test the water that I bring home from the store and this time I didnt... :roll:

Noo....Not that I have noticed anyway. He's still alive, I got right up this morning and checked on him and he still breathing heavy behind the rock.... :? Maybe he'll come out of it, Im not getting my hopes up though :cry:

He might have looked fine but I think he had something wrong with him from the LFS or acclimation problem as Lisa said. Any parasites on them?

What is your ammonia reading?
How many fish and what sized tank?
Can you see his gills?
Do they look redder than they should be?
You can update "my info" on the home page with your tank size, equipment and critters, that will also help us.

Back
Top Bottom