Help, my fish are dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NONO-AMJ79

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g that houses 2 hermit crabs, 1 shrimp, 8 oysters and 8 barnacles on one rock, 1 damsel, 1 sand sifter starfish, 1 turbo snail, 2 bumble bee snails, and about 10 lbs of live rock so far. The fish that have died are: 1 clown, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 green Mandarin and a purple Pseudochromis. My parameters are: pH 8.0, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 5.0 ppm, specific gravity is at 1.022. Filtration: Aqua-Tech 30-60 power filter, 10g sump with blue bio balls. I also have a Aqueon circulation pump 950.
Started the cycle with 10 assorted damsels, only one survived the whole deal. He's still alive but is starting to look sick. So far, I've done a 20% water change using RO saltwater provided by my LFS. Does anyone have any insight as to what is happening to my tank? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I asked my LFS and they told me to cycle the tank using Damsels. I guess they just wanted to sell fish. My question now is, do I have to start all over (new saltwater mix) or should I just throw in some raw shrimp?

I would imagine if it killed your fish that the ammonia got high enough to start the cycle. Let it go back to zero and then do a 25% PWC and you should be good to go.

Thanks, I'll do that. I also should of mentioned that after the initial cycle killed off 9 Damsels, I bought three more. Two of the new ones died within a week. The third had little white specks on him. I'm assuming Marine Ich. By that point my parameters were at 0 ppm and pH was 7.8. That's when I bought the clown, green Mandarin, purple Pseudochromis and blenny. They lasted about 2 weeks but also came down with Ich. My LFS told me that the oxygen levels are dropped at night because I have no night lights or moon lights. How true is this? Do I really need moon lights? Again, thanks for the advice.

Thanks, I'll do that. I also should of mentioned that after the initial cycle killed off 9 Damsels, I bought three more. Two of the new ones died within a week. The third had little white specks on him. I'm assuming Marine Ich. By that point my parameters were at 0 ppm and pH was 7.8. That's when I bought the clown, green Mandarin, purple Pseudochromis and blenny. They lasted about 2 weeks but also came down with Ich. My LFS told me that the oxygen levels are dropped at night because I have no night lights or moon lights. How true is this? Do I really need moon lights? Again, thanks for the advice.

you need to find a different store. They are selling you too many fish too soon and giving you inaccurate advice.
Lights have nothing to do with oxygen levels in the way they are saying.
the only time that really comes into play is if you have a refugium with macro algea. Then using alternating light cycles will balance O2 levels and ph over the 24 hour period.
BUT
as long as you have good circulation and surface agitation, you shouldn't be noticing any issues with oxygen levels.
The store sold you too many fish and sick one's and rather than assume responsibility, they are putting it off on you.

do more research, find another GOOD store and take it slow.
you should only add 1 new critter at a time and wait at least 2-3 weeks in between and NEVER buy a fish that you are even slightly suspicious of it's health, no matter what a salesperson tells you.

I pass up more awesome fish I would love to have because I'm not 1000% convinced of their health. And it's not just the health of the particular fish you are eyeing.
If other fish in different tanks are ill or have ich,
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!

at this point, DO NOT add any more live stock for at least 8-10 weeks so you can see if whatever parasite has been introduced has died off.
Look for spots daily on your remaining fish, and understand that when they disappear, that within 3-7 days, there will be more.
You need to wait until NO spots appear for at least 3 weeks in a row before even considering adding anything new.

I didn't follow those rules once and lost all my stock but two fish, over $500 gone within 10 days because I just HAD to have that tang....;(

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to find a different store. They are selling you too many fish too soon and giving you inaccurate advice.
Lights have nothing to do with oxygen levels in the way they are saying.
the only time that really comes into play is if you have a refugium with macro algea. Then using alternating light cycles will balance O2 levels and ph over the 24 hour period.
BUT
as long as you have good circulation and surface agitation, you shouldn't be noticing any issues with oxygen levels.
The store sold you too many fish and sick one's and rather than assume responsibility, they are putting it off on you.

do more research, find another GOOD store and take it slow.
you should only add 1 new critter at a time and wait at least 2-3 weeks in between and NEVER buy a fish that you are even slightly suspicious of it's health, no matter what a salesperson tells you.

I pass up more awesome fish I would love to have because I'm not 1000% convinced of their health. And it's not just the health of the particular fish you are eyeing.
If other fish in different tanks are ill or have ich,
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!

at this point, DO NOT add any more live stock for at least 8-10 weeks so you can see if whatever parasite has been introduced has died off.
Look for spots daily on your remaining fish, and understand that when they disappear, that within 3-7 days, there will be more.
You need to wait until NO spots appear for at least 3 weeks in a row before even considering adding anything new.

I didn't follow those rules once and lost all my stock but two fish, over $500 gone within 10 days because I just HAD to have that tang....;(
Thank you very much. I'll let the tank do its thing for now. I actually just got home and found the lone survivor laying on its side, motionless. I'll leave him in, so he could be one with the tank. I'll just continue to check the parameters weekly and keep an eye on the hermits, shrimp, and starfish. I have other questions regarding other things in the tank, but I'll post another thread. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think mostly everything has been said, but that was a pretty expensive cycle start they fed you. Once the ammonia and nitrite hit 0, do big water changes to bring the nitrates down and add a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom