help my koran please!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help sick Koran Angel!!!!

Something happened to my koran angel, her fins are all torn up and it looks like she has a very bad case of popeye, do saltwater fish get popeye? she has been rubbing on things for about a week but I haven't noticed anything wrong with her. Her eye is all cloudy and puffy and there looks like there is something sticking out of it. the eye was fine this morning and so were her fins she just had alittle faded spot from rubbing. its getting bad fast, what about the other fish in with her?? Please help me I don't know what to do, treat her with copper safe and antibiotic??? I'm freaking out she is a very special fish!!!! thank you for any help

Something happened to my koran angel, her fins are all torn up and it looks like she has a very bad case of popeye, do saltwater fish get popeye? she has been rubbing on things for about a week but I haven't noticed anything wrong with her. Her eye is all cloudy and puffy and there looks like there is something sticking out of it. the eye was fine this morning and so were her fins she just had alittle faded spot from rubbing. its getting bad fast, what about the other fish in with her?? Please help me I don't know what to do, treat her with copper safe and antibiotic??? I'm freaking out she is a very special fish!!!! thank you for any help

She probably injured her eyes while rubbing. The concerning thing is that she is rubbing. It usually indicates some kind of parasitic infection.
How long have you had her and did you qt her? Any other symptoms such as fast gilling, hovering in 1 spot, lethargy, etc?
Also do you have a qt tank? I would get one ready promply and prepare to begin parasitic treatment. DO NOT treat the main tank whatever you do.
Do you see any white spots? If there are and they are of uniform size, It would be ich, but from what you explain, I believe she may have marine velvet. How is your water quality? Please give us a rundown so we can eliminate water quality issues.
Also can you post a picture of her?

I don't think its ick, I've had her 1 1/2 years thats why she special one of my first, my po4 1.5, its high but every thing else is good no2 0 no3 2.5, her fins are shredded and looks like bloody streaks on the faded spots, the thing sticking out of her eye is gone, it disappeared in a matter of minutes. I got an anemone last week that died, could it be related, I don't think the lighting was enough to support him so he died. I have a 10g with figure 8 and leopard puffers the salt is low in their tank but I can bump it up a bit for the angel if she won't infect them.

Maybe its a bacterial infection. If it were me, I would try would you stated above. I understand how you feel, our angel is our "family dog".
I would move her and start treatment. IMO
Good luck!! My thoughts are with you!!
Have you added any new fish lately?

Well don't put anything in the tanks ECSPECIALY not copper. Try to set up a Quarentine tanks ASAP, and im sure someone can give you an idea as to what meds you'll need. Best of luck I hope she makes it :puppydogeyes:

If I were in your shoes. I would gently move her to a qt tank. start with the antibiotic (maracyn) and slowly add the copper. Try Cupramine and be sure to get the test kit. Cupramine is tolerated well by most fish, just follow the instructions.
If she is well enough to take this, it should give you a broad coverage of diseases.
Good luck!!

Thank you so much, I'm going to pick up a small tank today, add the water from her tank and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks again

Popeye can be the result of bacterial problems or aggressive behavior where the fish gets injured. In most cases, improving the water quality and feeding with vitamin fortified foods (Selcon or Zoecon) will help clear it up. Doing a few large water changes with well aged SW over the next week should help improve the water quality and introduce magnesium which will aid in helping the problem. In milder cases, meds are not usually needed.

I would not suggest moving the fish to a QT at this point unless the fish is being harrased by tank mates. Moving/netting the fish can often make the eye problem worse causing the fish to lose the eye. Having the QT set up and ready wuld be a good idea just in case though.

Cheers
Steve

I got another tank and moved her, that was not easy!! I also put my hippo tang in there too. She had rub marks too. Not as bad as my angel. when I got home the angels tail was all shredded too. That happened in a matter of hours. They seem to be ok in the qt. It has no cover on it, I put a storage box cover over part of it I hope it will be ok. They are both staying in the corner of the tank. I also put some seaweed in there for them. They've picked at it a few times. I'm using copper safe and mala fix.

wow slow down sillyfish, do some more research, I thought I read angels do not do well with copper... gotta read up on that

Back
Top Bottom