Help my Zebra Moray aka Eel Diseases w/ pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here are pics of my zebra moray which seems very unusual. She hasnt eaten in 6 days. Water parameters fine and the larger eel in the tank is not suffering from any ailments. If anyone can help please post here or email me wrightmatt@optusnet.com.au, i feel she is beginning to deteriorate..!!

Attachments

• dcp_0126.jpg
    dcp_0126.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 376
  • dcp_0129.jpg
    dcp_0129.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 461
  • dcp_0130.jpg
    dcp_0130.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 871
Stripes, we need more info. What are "fine" parameters? What are you trying to feed it? How long have you had it? Have you added anything different or made any large changes? All of these things are taken into consideration. HTH

Ive had it for 8 months. I feed it prawns (shrimp) and various whitebaits. Nitrite - nil, nitrate - nil, ammonia - nil. Ive made no changes to the tank whatsoever regarding bioloads, meds etc.

Thanks

6 days is not a long time for an eel to go without eating .... mine will periodically go a week or two and then start eating again just like usual.

Im sure he will be fine i cant think of anything why he wouldnt eat. He is very large so im sure he might be just full or is trying to lose some weight 8O

im not worried about the eating. im worried about the upside down thing. please see pics at top of topic to see what i mean. its breathing fine but it is upside down.

Haven't studied eels much myself but considering your ealier post, it could easily be swim bladder damage.
StripesTheEel said:
the blockage is removed.. i used a worming medicine used for bloat and she excreted wat seemed to be some white semi solid substance but she is still lying upside down..

There is also the possibility of a nematode parasite (Anguillicola crassus :?: just guessing here) although how likely I don't know but will depend on how long you've had the eels and what else has been added to the tank in the last few months.

Cheers
Steve

Steve - Ive had the eels for at least 6 months and havent added anything to the tank, be that livestock or anything.

The eels symptoms are:

1. Lying upside down.
2. Not eating - which might be normal anyway but i know has something to do with what is wrong with it
3. Eyes are cloudy.

Thanks

StripesTheEel, your other tank is overstocked, as we said before. This tank I cannot see what's in there, but he alone may be overstocking it. Being that he has cloudy eyes, it's probably bacterial - IE water quality related. Yes your measurements are fine, but that doesn't detect all the nutrients in the water, DOC.
Here is what I wrote you recently regarding your injured tang: "1st thing to do is increase the water quality - water changes will lower bacteria and what feeds them. I would perform 3-4 water changes over the next 10 days or so. Also clean any filters and waste, and use carbon or a poly filter if possible to remove doc and nitrates. Be sure the new sw is mixed for 24hrs to aerate. Feed with a vitamin supplement as they said."

This is what I would start with, that's probably the root problem... :)

srgetz said:
"1st thing to do is increase the water quality - water changes will lower bacteria and what feeds them. I would perform 3-4 water changes over the next 10 days or so. Also clean any filters and waste, and use carbon or a poly filter if possible to remove doc and nitrates. Be sure the new sw is mixed for 24hrs to aerate. Feed with a vitamin supplement as they said."

This is what I would start with, that's probably the root problem... :)
Could very likely help to be sure. It is generally the first best step when dealing with an unknown.

I would also ask when the last water change was performed, how often they are done and what % of the water volume? The pervious post linked to above indicated the eels are in their own tank and not part of the 75 gal community (which is definately overstocked). There was never any detail given on the second tank containing the eels.
StripesTheEel said:
Hara, sorry to confuse you but I have 2 tanks, my 2 zebras are in a separate tank!

What do you regularly feed the eels and how often? At this point I am more inclined to think the blockage you reported earlier to be the main cause although may not be the only one.

Cheers
Steve

Water changes were last performed 3 days ago and 10 days prior to that. They are done approx twice a month and approximately 40-50%. my two zebras are in what i believe are a 40-45 gallon with a 10cm trigger.

i feed the eels prawns (shrimp) and whitebaits. usually twice or three times a week depending on the size of the food.

as for my main tank, i realise this, but having these fish for over a year its hard to choose what to get rid of. im probably going to get rid of the coral beauty and zebra sailfin tang soon. all my blue green chromis have gone also.

thanks

StripesTheEel said:
Water changes were last performed 3 days ago and 10 days prior to that. They are done approx twice a month and approximately 40-50%. my two zebras are in what i believe are a 40-45 gallon with a 10cm trigger.
I would suggest that you get this upgraded very soon. Although the eels (might) seem small, they are still large waste producers and will quickly increase at that. They grow quite quickly in their first 1-1½ year. I would also suggest changing you water change routine. You'll have better success with smaller changes but increased frequency. 20-25% weekly would be a better option. It helps prevent the build up of DOC before they become a concern and less stress on the animals chemistry wise.

and whitebaits. usually twice or three times a week depending on the size of the food.
This is more than likely where your "blockage" came from. Eels should not be fed fish regularly, it does exactly what you've just experience, stop up the plumbing. Stick to crustaceans, bivlaves and other natural prey items. Their digestive system is not developed enough to cope with highly fatty fish flesh on a regular basis. I wouldn't even recommend it as a treat.

I would do a few more 20%ish water changes over the next week or two with well aged/aerated SW. As long you are able to keep the water quality high and the swim bladder issue (if that is the cause) was only marginal, you should see an improvement soon.

Is the zebra still showing no interest in feeding?

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
still no interest in feeding. it hasnt eaten in 10 days now. my larger eel has no problems and is still eating prawns every 2nd day. he looks alot better and his eyes are alot clearer, whereas the smaller eel has a grey 'film' if you can call it that over its eyes. I know eyes depend on smell rather than sight but may this be a combination of its balance and non eating issue?

is an uppage of water changes all i can do to improve its condition?

StripesTheEel said:
I know eels depend on smell rather than sight but may this be a combination of its balance and non eating issue?
When eels are stressed they will quite commonly quite eating. One or both of what you mention can easily contribute to it not eating. You might try adding a drop of garlic extract to some removed tank water in a cup and soak the food for a few minutes. You don't want the scent to be too strong or it will only confuse it's senses. Be sure to target feed with feeding tongs and very patiently place the food an inch or two away from it's snout. Make sure your motion is smooth and subtle. It will take a few attempts at the very least so just keep at it. Also be sure the morsel size is not too big and if it does eat not too much at a time. You don't want to risk further damaging the swim bladder.

is an uppage of water changes all i can do to improve its condition?
Without really knowing the cause of the problem it's hard to say what more can be done. All I can do is go on the asumption it may be swim bladder damage given the accounting so far. Increasing the frequencey of water changes in hopes of keeping the water quality high and ensuring that no infection sets in is best. To try a treatment at this point I fear would stress the eel to it's death.

If/once this eel recovers, you really do need to recosider the stocking level and types of animals in this tank. While it may not be the sole contributor to a problem like this, it can by no means be ruled out. Only one eel should be housed in a tank this small (species depending) and few tank mates. Two eels should not be in a 45 gal tank. You need to either relocate the healthy one or wait on the outcome of the sick eel and relocate it. Do not move the distressed eel as yet though, that would most likely kill it.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom