Help - new butterfly fish injured (attacked)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tang attacked a new (small, 2") butterfly fish today - he's got two big sections gone from his rear fins, and he's barely hanging in there, I've got him in a breeder tank thingamajig, in the main tank, to keep the other fish away from him... he's listing, breathing hard. Every time he starts to roll over, I slowly start to move the breeder tank around, and he seems to snap back for a little bit.

Anything to do for injuries that might prevent him bleeding to death?

update - I've added the suggested dosage of Stress Zyme, which says it helps injuries...

I might have some of that...

Update - Nope - I did awhile back though.

Can I slow down bleeding with hyper/hyposalinity?

Stupid tang. I must have the meanest one you can get.

Update, 11:10PM - he's still hanging in there. Tough little guy. Keeps drooping over on his side, but every time I tap the breeder thing, he snaps out of it for a bit.

Update 12:35Am - STILL hanging in there, actually doing better. He's staying up now, and I've caught him swimming around in the breeder tank a few times, but mostly he's just sitting there.

Time for lights-out, hope he makes it through the morning. Maybe my non-stop attempts to keep him going have helped. Not counting on it though.

;(

Update - he's doing better this morning. Floating above the bottom of the breeder instead of sitting.

He didn't eat when I tried to feed him, so he's not out of the dark yet. But he's definately doing better.

He's doing okay - eating, very slowly though.

I've got him isolated in a corner with a tank divider. The other fish look over at him once in awhile, but overall they're not noticing him much.

His rear body-trailing fin is chewed up in two spots, his tail is frayed a bit, and both bottom fins are a mess. He was really chewed up, and it must have happened fast. I was only away for a little bit.

His breathing is normal, he's completely upright all the time now.

I'm AMAZED he pulled through, but I'm sure he's still at risk pretty bigtime for infection and secondary problems.

He died yesterday. So dissappointed, I thought he was going to make it.

Got up, he was on his side, breathing fast. Tried to bring him back by floating him in a breeder tank and gently drifting him back and forth, but 10 minutes later he was gone.

I wish I'd been able to see if it was yellow tang or my little blue damsel that was responsible.

Back
Top Bottom