Help! New Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you had Marine Velvet than ya, fish-less for 8 to 10 weeks. That does suck! :-/

Good luck!

I'm not sure that having a fish alive in there means its not MV though. I had what I am almost certain was MV in my tank. Lost everything but two green Chromis, which are still alive as I type this. They look fine, but I plan to QT them soon, leave the DT tank fallow, or possibly just drain it and start over. I think they can host it, like fish do with Ich, but not show signs. I'm afraid to add more. I'd rather be safe than lose another fish.

I have to agree with gregcoyote. I think it is your acclimation process. Given the fact that they die so soon after introduction. When that happens it is usually one of three things;
1. mean fish already in the tank harrassing it.
2. too short of acclimation and fish dies from shock.
3. fish already sick from the LFS.

Hope this helps and I am sorry for your losses. Please don't loose faith and continue in this hobby. It will pay off in the long run!

I have to agree with gregcoyote. I think it is your acclimation process. Given the fact that they die so soon after introduction. When that happens it is usually one of three things;
1. mean fish already in the tank harrassing it.
2. too short of acclimation and fish dies from shock.
3. fish already sick from the LFS.

Hope this helps and I am sorry for your losses. Please don't loose faith and continue in this hobby. It will pay off in the long run!

Thanks for your encouraging words. I hope you are right that its just the acclimation process.

I'm not sure that having a fish alive in there means its not MV though. I had what I am almost certain was MV in my tank. Lost everything but two green Chromis, which are still alive as I type this. They look fine, but I plan to QT them soon, leave the DT tank fallow, or possibly just drain it and start over. I think they can host it, like fish do with Ich, but not show signs. I'm afraid to add more. I'd rather be safe than lose another fish.

Thanks. I went to LFS yesterday and almost bought a Chromis. Then I changed my mind. I'm moving in three weeks. If it be true that I have marine velvet I will run it fallow for 2-3 months. I will be getting new live sand when I move so hopefully that helps to get rid of some parasite that can be living in LS.

The reef tank is still running fish-less. I got food for my inverts. No feeding guidelines on packaging. About how many times a week should I feed them?
Snails
Cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
LPS, some SPS, zoas and softy.

image-1736190997.jpg

Do you know if Velvet affects corals?

I believe the parasite needs the flesh of a fish to multiply. Some corals might even feast on the dinoflagellates when free swimming.

I found the photo below as I was researching Marine Velvet. My Ocellaris clownfish looked very similar to the clownfish depicted in the photo. That, unfortunately, seems to validate my suspicion of Velvet in the aquarium.
I'm not terribly discouraged. Figuring out the right thing to do has been difficult.

image-139855590.jpg

Check all of you perimeters including your salinity, post them and you may have a bit more help!

Check all of you perimeters including your salinity, post them and you may have a bit more help!

I posted everything earlier but I know it can be hard to catch it with so many posts. Here they are:
Phosphate: .25 (higher than normal)
Calcium: 380
dKH:10
PH: 8.1
AM:0
Trates:15
Trites:0
Salinity:1.024-1.025

Having done even more research I am leaning towards conclusion that it was brooklynella that killed my ocellaris clown. Not sure about others. Either same or insufficient acclimation.

In my humble opinion, those phosphates are significantly high and the calcium is a bit low. While not at the level to kill fish, it isn't doing you any good. I might add a bag of GFO or other phosphate absorber ASAP while keeping up with PWC. What salt are you using again?

In my humble opinion, those phosphates are significantly high and the calcium is a bit low. While not at the level to kill fish, it isn't doing you any good. I might add a bag of GFO or other phosphate absorber ASAP while keeping up with PWC. What salt are you using again?

image-2922345437.jpg

Yeah, I normally run phosguard. I ran out of media bags so I fell behind. As far as salt I just buy saltwater for my LFS. I spent hours researching what happened in my tank and all signs point to brooklynella. I read that the parasite will kill clowns, angelfish and tangs. Well, I lost three clowns and a flame back angelfish. Leopard wrasse and blue spotted goby did not die. Both, however, showed signs of it. The wrasse was flashing against sand and gobys color was faded.
I will be upgrading to a 60 gallon and adding new live sand in 3 weeks. Until then, and another 5 weeks thereafter, I'll put no fish in my tank.

The tank has been running fishless for a week now. Corals are doing good. Although I must say its kind of boring without fish. Can't wait till I add new inhabitants there. It will be so exciting. But for now I have to do what's best for the aquarium.

Longer can't hurt. Shorter runs the risk that everything is not gone. A couple more weeks could save you months in the future.

Back
Top Bottom