Help! pop-eye on betta, need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank was neglected during the last month while I was getting a divorce.. :banghead:

Worst thing possible today I see I need to hospitalize my baby!! Marsh, I've treated him a year ago when I first had him for fin rot in a ten gallon QT "rubbermaid" container so I have the 10G, a non-seeded whisper 10i internal filter but I can do daily WC's\\

Trying not to panic! I just got a good look at him and freaked out!! I am also going to spend my day re-scaping and cleaning massive amounts of green algae out of my 20G pea puffer tank and the 29 Marshall shares with some cories and tetras.. IN FACT I am tearing down and moving all 3 tanks out of my kitchen because it is the sunniest room and my Ex-husband's Reef tank is in the worst shape! I have an empty 55 I used as my first SW FOWLR that I plan to save the living animals and LR but will probably scrap and sell his abandoned 29/15 reef tank.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

what meds should I buy? my sister is near petstores in the next hour I want to get a few options just in case before she heads back home!

well i set up a 6 1/2 gallon tank with a sponge filter run by a airpump and a internal filter (whisper10i) that has the "comb" and some fresh foam smushed in to the area where their carbon filters go, which both avoids carbon removing the Maracyn-2 prematurely and make the flow much less intense.

Question: am I going to help aerate the water by using my azoo "9" Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter... I believe that medications can de-oxygenate water to low levels... please correct me if I am wrong!

I am going to acclimate him to the new water and try not to let any tank water into the QT. i have a heater set to about 82, but his original tank was usually at least 80 up to 82 on hotter days (in California). This QT is in a sun-less area between two rooms at the top of a few steps in my split-level, hopefully a very calm and temp-stable zone.

is there any reason to give him a light? there is natural light from my living room adjacent enough to see around, and no plants, bare bottom tank...

Relax! Someone with more knowledge will be here to help eventually. I would but I know nothing about pop-eye

Edit. Pics would help us

Relaxing.... He is in his hospital tank and looks perky. I waited 5 hours after acclimating him but I did start the Maracyn-2 six day treatment. Sorry I did not see the last post but it does advise not to start and stop a treatment mid-cycle.

The photos will be gross. He also has gill swelling as some pineconed scales just around the side of his head with the popped and cloudy eye. Ill go take a look at his temp.

Sorry I was not on yesterday to see this, but I agree that you want to keep pristine water conditions and make sure it is eating nutritional food (maybe even add vitamin supplements). Most eye problems are due to poor water quality. I'm not sure that treating with maracyn2 will hurt anything. If its really bad, there could be secondary infections.

Thanks Todd! So far the pine coned scales that were showing between his "popped" eye and gill are looking less puffed, and his body has smooth scales and no visible marks.

This is my oldest and most loved fishy... Marshall, I named myself on here after him!

Is it okay to use RO water or is my well water better for WC's? I heard that RO lacks minerals for fresh tanks. I use prime. Also the treatment directions say to only change 25% after the 6 days of adding Maracyn but I also agree daily changes are the best way to be on top of water quality. Maybe 2/6 gallons? 33%?

Also can anybody answer the water/bubbler question I had? On my phone or I would attach pics but need to host them from a laptop

I did not feed him yesterday ' he eats pellets every other day and bloodworms once per week, should I get any particular vitamin supplements? Feed the same or just the frozen bloodworms?

He is doing good!! I am keeping him in a QT for a while, I am still undecided if the tetras and cories are all symptom free, and if they might be better off with mr pea puffer, who ignored tetras but nipped at Marshall after about a month of living together(he was a rescue from a one gallon my ex kept him in... Now in a 20 long..)

Back
Top Bottom