HELP!! Sleeper Goby Eye GONE!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know what happened, or what to do! I have had this guy for 2 months with no problems. Now his who left eye is gone out of it's socket. It's just gone! Like something ate it.

I have a Blue Spotted Toby, but they have been getting a long fine for 2 months. No chasing!

My list of fish include

1. Flame Hawk
1. Yellow Eye Tang
1. Yellow Tang
1. Blue Spotted Toby Puffer
1. Sleeper Goby
1. Six Line Wrasse
1. Coral Beauty

I have a Spiny Sea Urchin and a few hermit crabs. I don't know what could have ate his eye right out like that cleanly! He was eating, but does not look too good. He is borrowed right now, but what do I do? What can I do? I don't have a QT tank. I got a small 2.5 gallon tank I can set up for a medical tank. I just don't know what to do! I feel so bad for this guy!

Attachments

• IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6280.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3385.jpg
    IMG_3385.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7664.jpg
    IMG_7664.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 147
I don't think there is anything you can do except make sure the water is as clean as possible and hope he doesn't get an infection. It could help if you do a little larger hospital tank, maybe 10g and do a preventative wide spectrum antibiotic treatment to give him some time to heal.

I don't think there is anything you can do except make sure the water is as clean as possible and hope he doesn't get an infection. It could help if you do a little larger hospital tank, maybe 10g and do a preventative wide spectrum antibiotic treatment to give him some time to heal.

I agree. He should heal and will probably be okay if no infection sets in.

It could be the Toby. Seems odd that it happened suddenly and the Toby is the only one, outside the six line, that would be a suspect, IMO.

Makes me sad to see him like this! I am wondering if it's because I forgot to feed them one day. I feed every day, and I know some people feed every other day, but if I go the use to eating every day and I don't feed maybe that's were the aggression came from?

I have a firefish that somehow got his lower jaw bitten off, most likely by a crab and he is living happily still in my tank. Just watch it to make sure it doesnt get infected and he should make it. :)

Don't blame yourself too much, things do and will happen that arent so great in this hobby.

Some fish are agressive regardless. It is often territorial more than hunger. I've never kept puffers, but hear they will bite holes in fishes tails. Seems like that could go for an eye. I plan to get a Blue Spot, so hopefully that is not the case. 6 lines I've had and one of mine was very territorial. He had a little cave between rocks and if any fish tried to got in, he would let them know it was a bad idea. The Hawk is semi-aggressive, but the one I used to have kinda left everyone alone. That was my last suspect, BUT...I just read on liveaquaria that they caution against adding to tanks with bottom-dwelling bennies or gobies.

Flame hawks are cautioned about gobies? Where did you see that? I have a flame and was hoping to merge that tank with a tank of gobies and blennies.....

I've never noticed it, but go look at the liveaquaria.com write-up. I guess since they perch up high (usually), they are looking for food down low. Gobies and bennies probably look tasty down there.

Hmm good to know. Thats a new one by me. I know shrimp they like to eat lol. But I dont think i will be adding any shrimp in my new setup. The goby I have is about 3 times the size of my flame hawk so hopefully he will be ok.

Yeah, but it's just strange that it happened after 2 to 3 months of being peaceful. Still I feel bad for the poor guy. I know it's painful and there is nothing I can do.

I think it just died. Any Idea what to get for a replacement fish? With the Stock List I already listed out? :-(

My tank is a 55 gallon, I am upgrading to 180 by the end of the year so I can keep my Tangs.

I just want a fish that will go well with the stock list I have that can live forever in a 55. I am keeping the 55 set up, but will be doing a 180 for the Tangs. All of the other fish will stay in the 55.

Back
Top Bottom