HELP!! Starfish getting attacked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4inchSandBed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked up a Sand Sifting sea star and as soon as i put him into my tank , my peppermint shrimp and hermits attacked it. Is this normal?? i think the Star fish is dead now but i cant really tell. I was unaware that these werent compatible. At the LFS they had the stars with Cleaner and Fire shrimp and they all seemed to get along. What should i do? how can i tell if the star is still alive?

Has the star moved? I have a choc chip star and every now and then my cleaner shrimp will pick at it and the hermits will crawl over it. I have never had them attack it before though. Are there any tears in the stars flesh, little white cuts?

most likely the shrimp and hermits knew the starfish was not doing well and hastened the process along.

What type of acclimation procedures did you use?

i used the drip method... for like 2 hours. When i put the star fish in it immediately started to burrow under the sand and looked totally fine. I dont see any visable cuts but his little feet on the underside dont appear to be moving. I was concerned a lil when i left the lfs cuz when they took the star out it was exposed to the air for like a split second. I read somewhere that they should never be exposed to the air. I mention it to the lfs guy but he told me it would be fine. IF it is dead should i remove it?

Maybe ill try to get a refund

a split second would not do anything but i do think its strange for them to jump on it like that even if it wasnt doing well i would leve it in thier untill you know for shure its dead

i bought a large general and the guy from big als ripped the bag dumped it and 2 cleaner shrimp on the floor then dumped them into another bag when i got home the 2 cleaners died that night almost right away the star could barly move and could not climb up the glass for a week but i left him and now hes fine

Back
Top Bottom