HELP! weblike filaments developing on seahorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veronica

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a new horse the other week and it just died, :cry: it looked like its brain got swollen ( very red ) and it went into seizures or something and now other established horse is developing weblike filaments experiencing problems and is starting to stress. Need urgent help. size=12][/size]

looks like a fungal problem to me, but the pic is blurred. I would recommend you go to www.syngnathid.org or www.seahorse.org and check out their medical library areas. Seahorses are prone to stuff like this and there should be more info for you at those sites.

this just in:
From saltwaterfish.com message boards.
TerryB is a moderator and he has replied. I asked his permission to crosspost to this site, at this time, he has not replied, but I think it is urgent that I get this out to you, so I will deal with that later.

" It could be Brooklynella or even possibly Uronema. I would hope for Brooklynella and treat it with a series of formalin dips. There is another disease that is common with Seahorses, but I can't remember the name of it right now. Unfortunately it is tough to treat. Just one more reason to quarantine all seahorses before adding them to the display. The Seahorse disease I am thinking of is very contagious and hard to beat. It wouldn't hurt to treat the fish with Nirtofurazone in quarantine and give it some 45 minute formalin dips to. Seahorses do pretty well in hyposalinity as long as you check the pH daily. Hypo with nitrofurazone and adding formalin dips would give you a three pronged attack. I would be adding some Beta glucan to the diet until the fish either recovers or dies. You can put some Beta glucan in the brine shrimp water 6 hours before feeding them to the Seahorse.
Terry B"

Back
Top Bottom