HELP! white spot on nose of orchid dottyback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRFrndsNotFd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A small patch of light stuff (white?) appeared very quickly last night on the nose (in between the eyes) of my orchid dottyback. She is eating but is hiding a little more than usual. I happened to get my protein skimmer working last night (finally) and it created a bunch of bubbles in the tank. I noticed bubbles sticking to my puffer and was hoping the light patch on my dotty was just bubbles but this morning, the patch is still there. It hasn't gotten any bigger, though, and she is till eating. It doesn't look like ich...any suggestions?

btw, I don't have a qt...

Could be a bit of debris or possible a "scuff" from the rock. They do tend to dart a fair amount. Do a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW to help reduce any possible DOC. If a mild bacterial problem, the water changes will help quite a bit. Be sure the foods you feed are also properly nutritious and/or fortified. Diet and high water quality are the main "self helpers" when it comes to common ailments.

If C. irritans or another common parasite, you will most likely see the spot disappear to be replaced by another a few days later. Watch the patch/spot to be sure it does not get larger.

Any aggression from tank mates?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom