Help with clownfish please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Ocellaris clownfish has been having white spots on her and I suspect its ich or brooklynella. She is in a 20 gallon tank with a fire fish goby and hermit crabs. The tank is a fowlr and is about 3 months old. The clownfish was added about 1 1/2 month ago. She is somewhat active right now and eats fine but her fins are a bit clamped.

My parameters are
pH: 8.2-8.4
SG: 1.025
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitirite: .25-.50 ppm (been having a problem with nitrites after I dosed the tank with Ridich, might've killed the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate)
Nitrate: 5 ppm

I dosed the tank with Rid Ich 2 weeks ago to kill what I suspected to be Brooklynella and it worked. My clownfish was disease free until these white spots showed up. It doesn't look like what she had before. The goby looks perfectly fine except for clamped fins because of the nitrites ( I do small water changes everyday). What is this and what can I do to treat it

Pics ( tried to take pictures the best I can)
Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 0716, IMG 0717, IMG 0719, IMG 0720, IMG 0721

Ich shows up in fish that are stressed out, normally due to parameter issues in the tank itself. It is unlikely that dosing the tank, though something you should never do, could not have been the original cause of the issue. Now you are stuck with a tank that is re-cycling and giving additional stress.
You will need to do water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites at 0 to prevent burning of your fish's gills. These water changes will also continue to dilute the issues in the tank itself that is causing the stress to your fish unless there is bullying going on in the system.

Back
Top Bottom