heniochus butterfly dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eoliver37

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank. Recently, I've been trying to convert my FOWLR to a reef tank, so a few days ago, I set up different lights (T5s 216w, I don't know if this is of any significance). In my tank I have a Picasso trigger, which is actually smaller than my Bannerfish. Currently, my Bannerfish is laying on its side breathing heavily. It has various red spots on its body, which I believe are from the Picasso, but I am not sure because I was not home when it began to act this way. It is in a separate cage now, but any advice as to how to save it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

img_952247_0_da5148a5563cb1fbfb839dd6250349e5.jpg

img_952247_1_de9db880de92a66be12681c73ba4d74c.jpg

Last edited:
He almost does look like he was attacked. But without seeing them fighting then it`s hard to say. Those type fish are notorius for not lasting long in the home aquarium.

Do you think the new lighting system could have affected it at all? Maybe causing him to become stressed and therefore an easier target for the trigger?

Looks to be a bacterial infection to me. I would treat with a Nitrofurazone (Furacyn) or Minocycline (Maracyn 2). Treat in a qt or at least bathe in a bucket and keep the main tank water as pristine as possible.

from all the research I have done I can say that it is never safe to keep any trigger (especially a picasso or clown) together with a butterfly. even if the trigger is smaller. althought it doesn't really look like he was attacked in the photo. i agree with the previous reply. looks like a bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom