Hermit crab acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelleMorte

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put in some new shells for my hermit crab that I have had for last two years and me and my husband had a good laugh watching him climb in and out of them and his old shell. I noticed the last few days that he has picked one and hasn't moved at all from the shell or the spot. Every now and again I see his legs poke out and then he goes back into the shell. I he getting ready to molt or should I start to worry?

I've watched this too, it's pretty funny!! So much anticipation for the final jump.
He could just be tidying up his new abode. Sometimes too, they will pick a shell that's hard for them to move. Possibly put a few slightly smaller shells near him, in case he wants to transfer again.
If you still see that he's active, he should be fine.

I have multiple sizes of shells that I picked up off a couple beaches while in new Zealand when I was a teenager and some from when my son had a couple of hermit crabs from romancing the stone. This was just a behavior I hadn't seen from him before when he switched shells so I was starting to get worried

Back
Top Bottom