Hermit-on-hermit aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fungus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
I have a 10g reef with 6 red legged hermits. The largest one (2cm shell) roams around and bullies the smaller guys (1cm shell). He'll flip them over and claw at them inside their shells. Of course, he doesn't bother the very passive and larger electric blue in the tank. Is this aggressive behavior? Mating? How can I teach him to leave the others alone and just play nice?

Just sit the big hermit down and have a good talking to him. Ask him how he's feeling, maybe you only provide extra shells for the little guys, and he resents them for it.

I forgot to say that I have extra shells in the tank that are big enough for the bully hermit.

Fungus said:
I forgot to say that I have extra shells in the tank that are big enough for the bully hermit.

Add some smaller ones too. It might provide relief if he turns empty ones over a bit. He perhaps isn't totally aware of his size? :)

Crabs eat crabs...snails...anything they can. They are omnivores. I watched my red and blue leg hermits decimate each other and my snails the first year I had my tank.

Back
Top Bottom