Horned Blenny turned dark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my horned blenny for about 2 months now and he has been thriving. We had a bad storm the other night and the electricity went out for a few hours. We hooked up a generator but for some reason, and unknown to us, the filter had quit running.
Today my blenny looks dark and has been hiding in the rocks. All the chemistry tests perfect. The rest of the fish seem to be okay. I'm really worried as this is my favorite fish. He comes when I call him and eats from my hand. When I tried feeding him this morning, he didn't come out. Does anyone know what I can do for him?
Thanks much.

Mine changed colors when he was hiding. Have you tried to soak the food in garlic for at least 30 mins?

My blenny died last night. I am not sure if he stressed out or what happened. Thanks for your replies. I guess the first rule of successful fishkeeping is to not get too attached. :)

My blenny died last night. I am not sure if he stressed out or what happened. Thanks for your replies. I guess the first rule of successful fishkeeping is to not get too attached. :)

I wouldn't go that far. How do the others look? is it possible some piece of equipment failed? Myaybe you had a power surge. Cna you check the water for electrical current?

Roka, we had a bad storm in which we lost electricty for 8 hours. Although I hooked the tank up to a generator, I didn't know the filter didn't re-start. I'm thinking that possibly the bacteria in the filter media died and somehow killed him although the gal at the lfs says she thinks it's stress. I really don't know. The water tests perfectly on all accounts and everything else seems fine. Thanks for your reply.

bacteria in the filter media died and somehow killed him

Hmmm, I would tend to think this might not be the case, if the water params checked out. Is it possible the temp dropped too low? Again, I am sorry for you loss. I lost a forktail Blenny, and he was my fav too.

Thanks Roka. I doubt that the temps dropped as I live in AZ and the big problem here is keeping the tank cool. I checked the temps and it had stayed stable at 78.
I'm sorry too for your loss. I will probably get another blenny as they are the cutest fish and he was a great addition to my tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom