Hot water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Math has never been my strongpoint, but I am not trying to be snippey at all here. Trying to make a point that different people will live in different locations, with different situations. Me in a 2400 sgft home does not have the option of running a small one room wall AC unit and running the AC really low when nobody is home seems more costly. I think a chiller makes more sense for my situation. I'm just saying if someone is comparing cost of an AC unit versus a chiller, do the math and see which is less. Nothing negative meant by that at all. If running AC at 70 all day is less, then that makes sense for that person.

Someone help me out here...1/10 Hp chiller x .75kw = .075kw or 75 watts. That x 24 hours = 1800 watts or 1.8 kwH. That x the $0.0784 per kwH (what my bill says we pay) equals .14112, which is 14 cents per day? My original 7 cents was based on half that, assuming that the chiller is not always on, but I was thinking the cooling fan, which is probably wrong.

For me, a chiller would probably be cheaper, but we leave the ac on all the time. House stays at about 75 or less. I have no heater either. Pumps and lights do all the heating. Running just the ac to keep my tank temp down in a 5200 sq ft house won't work better than a chiller. For a different house, it may. It really depends on many factors.

Even .14 per day seems ridiculously low, but the math is correct, according to the link. Apparently chillers have become much more efficient in the past few years. I knew they were getting better, but I didn't think they've gotten that good. Of course this is if the site's conversion is correct.
I assumed that your math statement was directed at me, so I'm sorry for taking offense.
I run a 2100sqft home, with a pool, and also do not have the luxury of cooling a single room with a window AC unit. I was just stating that they are similar pieces of equipment.
In my original post, I was just trying to convey, that when factoring the initial cost of such a unit, with operating costs, it would take years to see any savings through your power bill.
It's very hard to figure out, what running my AC 3 degrees cooler, costs. I couldn't even knowledgeably speculate, but I can't imagine that it makes much of a difference. Down here, it runs most of the day, no matter what.
I would like to have one, but for me, with a 200+g system, the initial cost is difficult at best, and the AC route, is a feasible solution.

Glad to hear my math was correct. :) I did not mean for anyone to take offense though.

The OP could use a 1/10 for their 90g...low AC or chiller seems like the solution though. Floating ice bottles would cause too big of a temp fluctuation in my opinion.

TheTodd said:
Glad to hear my math was correct. :) I did not mean for anyone to take offense though.

The OP could use a 1/10 for their 90g...low AC or chiller seems like the solution though. Floating ice bottles would cause too big of a temp fluctuation in my opinion.

Re.the 1/10 hp for the 90.., i think you're correct ,...I bought the jbj 1/5 hp chiller for my 135 gal and she's working perfectly

Dary421 said:
Re.the 1/10 hp for the 90.., i think you're correct ,...I bought the jbj 1/5 hp chiller for my 135 gal and she's working perfectly

Hey Dary,
When you feel you can get a decent idea, I'd like to know how much power consumption you can attribute to your new chiller, as a real-time example. I know there are many factors to a varying power bill, but best you can figure would work, just to check out this power consumption formula. Just curious!

Flreefer said:
Hey Dary,
When you feel you can get a decent idea, I'd like to know how much power consumption you can attribute to your new chiller, as a real-time example. I know there are many factors to a varying power bill, but best you can figure would work, just to check out this power consumption formula. Just curious!

I've got soooo many things hooked up and running I'd never know,..but,...I would imagine that you're prob pretty close.., from what I can tell or assume for the most part our chillers pretty much sits idle ,..nothing really going on at all ,until it needs to cool down the aquarium water and then the motor/ fan will kick on for a short while .in my case lowering the temp by only a degree before shutting down agin,...Any water circulation thru the cooler is actually being performed by an outside pump ( sumps return pump in my case) ,.. So that alone IMO is a money saver there,..I really don't have any idea on cost yet but I'm sure it would be $$ money well spent regardless and a lot cheaper than ac,.., if you're using your ac and can afford to run it and that keeps your tank stable then that's great ! ,..to me it's not really how you achieve the goal it's just achieving that goal,...in my case it's my little cooler thats now keeping an eye on things for me.,..and thats just one more thing that i don't have to worry about when I'm at work or even on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom