how can i tell if the Bubble tip anemone is dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilly

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can i tell if its dying? if it dies what kind of toxins will it release and would it kill all my fishes?

The first thing that would signal that your BTA is dying would be a shrivled, lifeless apperance. Remember though, BTA's and other anemone types will shrivel up when releasing waste, at which point you will see liquid waste or slime rising from thier mouth/anus.

What would really make it obvious that your anemone is dying would be smell. Anemones actually decompose as they did, releasing a horrible smell into the water, one that can fill an entire room with utter stench. Other than that you would witness the actual decomposition of the bast and body, and likely its mouth would remain unguarded by tentacles and open.

If your BTA is dying, and dies it will release tons of toxins into the water, raising nitrites, nitrates and ammonia, and potentially wiping out your entire tank.

How can i tell if its dying?

Posting a picture would help, as would giving all the parameters of your tank including size, water parameters, lighting, etc. so that experienced members can help you determine visually and potentially by the environment. In my experience, BTA's are tough to kill unless they are in a very bad environment or were purchased in very rough condition.

How long has it looked bad? When they expell waste they look terrible, but this is only temperary. It it lasts more then a day or two, take it out.

i think my BTA is alive, i think i had too many guest over so it got scared and shrivled up, now its blooming. But some say i dont have enough lighting in my 25 gallon tank with an eciplse 2 top. Im running 2 15w powerglo light tubes. Would that be enough and by the way my tank and my top is right on top of each other so the lighting is very bright. But would that be enough for my little guy? My BTA loves one of my live rocks and always go underneath it. Pics coming up.

I do not think you have enough lighting to support the BTA long-term. YOu hve just over one watt/gal of NO lighting. You should have at least 3.5watts/gal of CF or higher lighting. You should really plan on a lighting upgrade very soon.

I agree, and in the meantime I would get the anemone as high up on the rocks as possible, if possible (move the whole rock it is on?). There are some retro fit kits for eclipse systems to move them to power compact lighting if you search around a bit.

im thinking to return my BTA to the lfs, BTW which coral will be good for my tank besides mushrooms?

non-photosynthetic corals.

You really have too little light to be a reef. You might be able to keep corals alive but they will not thrive.

What would cause a roses demise.Mine got stuck in a powerhead and lost half its body and came back fully.

Back
Top Bottom