How do SW fish at the fish store survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Many times, I see way too many fish in the small amount of water they are held in for sale. Also, I never (rarely) see LR or anything to help clean the tanks... How do they survive?

They don't always survive. They just pull the dead ones before you see them.

the store I work in has bigger tanks (not huge they are still too small) but we do have some bigger ones for bigger fish and we keep lr and sand in our tanks and we sometimes have some inverts in with certain tanks to help keep them clean.

We also pull dead before you come. But don't forget this is supposed to be temporary housing. the store I work obviously is doing ok since some of hte fish have been there for quite some time (doesn't say much for our prices though) but it does show that we take good care of them???? (I guess you get what you pay for). We actually have a BEAUTIFUL Marine betta that has been there since October!!!

Christina

They dont have LR or invertebrates, usually because copper is used in the system, and they wouldnt be able to survive . As for the fish, the idea is to bring in fish that the store knows will sell quickly. Sometimes mistakes are made and fish that wont sell, or are priced to high may have to stay longer than expected. Some of these fish will get sick because they arent fed correctly, or are beat on by other fish, or are in the wrong type of water conditions. Some of them will hang on until they are finally sold, the others will waste awy until they finally pass away. Unfortunately the collecting and selling of the sea life is a big business, and with the quckness that the business must run, some losses are expected.

And also, I've seen then in long tanks, but the dividers don't allow any room to swim. It looks like the space is about 8"x 10".

Like I said the store I work at have 75 gallon tanks. Some are divided in half, some in thirds and some not at all. We have live rock & live sand in every tank. And I personally take over an hour feeding every fish. SO not ALLL stores are like that.

Christina

Back
Top Bottom