How many Tangs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a medium Kole tang and a small yellow tang right now. I want to add either a blue yellow tail tang, a PBT or maybe both in a couple of months. Will they be ok, or will this be too many tangs in a 75 gal?

I only have experience with Yellows so I have no first hand knowledge to offer, but general advice is to look at the Full Grown size of the fish you have and the fish you're considering. When purchasing fish you need to look ahead and make sure you won't have to give them up if they out grow your tank. For example, 5 or 6 fish that are 4 or 5 inches in size would be just fine.... but when they grow up, if they get to be 6 or 7 inches each you then have 6, 7-inch fish in your tank and things suddenly become crowded.

Aside from size issues, be sure you check agressiveness to be sure they're compatible. Just because they're all in the "Tang" family doesn't necessarly mean they'll get along.

Agreed, I went down this same road, check my signature. I will be looking for a home for the Orange shoulder in a few months.

Multiple tangs can be kept together, but usually require a larger swimming area. Again, consider the full size growth when purchasing. Not to mention the ones you are considering would probably be stressed by current occupants and more prone to disease. This was my experience when I foolishly tried to add a third to my already overstocked set-up. I wish I was more informed early on as well.

I would not avocate more than the existing tangs in the 75. If you plan on upgrading to a 180 then yes I can see 4 but I cant avocate 4 in a 75 with out the potental for some fighting. In addition tangs from my personal observaion seem to use up oxygen faster than other smaller sized fish. Putting to many tangs can cause issues of suffication should your pumps fail even for a few hours. (I have seen this happen multiple times in others tanks).

IMO, I would keep what you have if they are currently co-habitating well. I am not sure what a BYT(Atlantic Blue Tang?) is, But the pacific Blue tang (Dori) IMO is a much less hardy species. In addition at full growth it is pushing the size limit of a 75G anyway.

When you say BYT/Blue, yellow tail, are you talking about a purple tang? It's got a yellow tail and may look blue in some photos.

I'd recommend deciding what you want to be in your tank all together/when all is said and done, and plan that way. Then decide if the two you've got will stay.

And I agree that the powder blue tang and the blue/hippo/dory tang can be more succeptable to parasitic infections. And sounding like you like big fish, those two would easily react to overcrowding, get sick and cause more trouble than its worth. Might consider sticking to what you've got.

(BYT) I meant Pacific Blue Tang or Regal Tang. I Got this Infos on drsfostersmith web site. Rega Tang is more susceptible to lateral line disease, fin erosion, ich and other skin parasites than many other fish. (PBT)Powder Blue Tang is extremely aggressive towards other Tangs or Surgeonfish, especially those similar in form and color, and should be the only one in the tank except in very large systems. Well, i'll pass on these tangs. :) Thanks for the advice guys.

I have a pbt and I love him, an extremely interesting fish (but the only tang i own). He is aggressive to all fish until he gets used to them and afterwards he simply ignores them.

I had a Yellowtang,sailfin and a blue all together but they were in a 150.

i had a naso, yellow and purple for a short time (all got along very well), but 75 gallon isn't alot of room. I would advise against it as well. My PBT is very dominant and will not mix well in that small a tank. IMO. Hats off to you for asking advice first before doing it.

Jim

Same with my PBT he IS awesome, healthy, and a good eater, but aggresive. I would not consider adding another to my 75. :mrgreen:

Good choice to pass on them right now.

Back
Top Bottom