How much live rock is needed for 600 litre tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid-collector

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi got a 600litre tank including sump but I have 2 reef rods and was told that It would half the amount of live rock I need but still was wondering how muck in kg I would need ruffly?any help would be greatfull also could I start with a small amount and gradually build on it or do I need a certain amount to keep the tanks condition rite?? Thnx :)

It's usually recommend to have a 1- 1.5 lbs per gallon . Just figure how big your tank is in gallons and youll have your answer.

Hondatek's right but thats if you use quality rock. If you use cheaper less porus rock you need more.

70-110 kg depending on how porous the rock is and how stocked the tank is. Personally I would start with 70kg then as you add stock(fish,coral,inverts) monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels and if you see an increase add more rock. Live rock is expensive but for half the price you can get dry base rock and seed it with a few pieces of live rock.

kdpuffer said:
70-110 kg depending on how porous the rock is and how stocked the tank is. Personally I would start with 70kg then as you add stock(fish,coral,inverts) monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels and if you see an increase add more rock. Live rock is expensive but for half the price you can get dry base rock and seed it with a few pieces of live rock.

Thnx mate helped alot :)

Back
Top Bottom