how to get conch to switch shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
my conch is about 2 1/2 years old and his shell is disintegrating I placed 6 empty conch shells but he don't seem interested in them
how can I get him interested there assorted sizes
I don't want this guy to die he does a great job on the sand bed
any help is appreciated (y) :thanks:

Snails don't switch shells like hermit crabs. They grow their own shell. If it is indeed disintegrating(not normal) maybe your calcium levels are low and all calcium based objects are buffering(dissolving back into calcium) your water?

Check ph, alk, cal, and mag.

If you really want, you could set up a 10 gallon and use it as a sort of QT tank. Put in the conch and dose it with calcium. I don't know if it would work, just a thought.

Snails don't switch shells like hermit crabs. They grow their own shell. If it is indeed disintegrating(not normal) maybe your calcium levels are low and all calcium based objects are buffering(dissolving back into calcium) your water?

Check ph, alk, cal, and mag.

Agreed, you are really going to need those measurements for an answer as to whats going on.

PH 8.4
Cal 500
alk 10.0
don't have test for mag
nitrate 0.05
nitrite 0
ammonia 0.05

everything is in line thats why I don't know why his shell is deteriorating so bad

With the calcium and alk soo high I would imagine the mag is quite high as well or it would precipitate out. Can you post a pic of it?

I'll get a pict in a little while
those levels are without dosing anything
I use Kent Marine salt and that s it I don't like chemicals anymore had bad issues on my other tank
this tank is 100% chem free from day 1 a year ago

he also seems to be the only thing with algae on his shell
he turned before I could snap pict but you can see front of it
the xlarge scarlet hermits next to him there shells aren't effected at all

60069-albums10534-picture64342.jpg
[/IMG]
60069-albums10534-picture64342.jpg

The snail should be able to repair its own shell from minor damage. However if you notice any holes growing in the shell where you can actually see inside it you could use a marine epoxy to fix the hole. It doesn't really look that bad.

its mostly on the lower lip of the shell
never would have thought marine epoxy to fix shell I'll have to remember that
Thanks
took the worry out of it

Back
Top Bottom