How to treat ick in reef no quaratine!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Little Ocean

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have reef tank with inverts couple of infected fish no quarantine! i have posted on a thread of use of oodinex search and take a look at my situation as i am treating at the mo, please any other sugestions!??

The only thing I have heard of are a couple meds that are arguably ineffective and arguably not 100% safe. Other than that fresh pressed garlic added to the food could kill the white spot for you. I have heard New Life Spectrum Thera+A can also treat white spot.

I am using the juice from fresh garlic and soaking my flakes and mysis. Are you suggesting to actually put bits of garlic in aswell?

Every meal until at least two weeks after all symptoms are gone.

you do know that garlic does nothing to kill ich or the ich cycle?. As long as there is a host, you'll have ich. No sense telling you why it happened, you answered that in your first post.

IMO you best get one and go FOWLR or you and your fish are in for a long sad trip

CaptainAhab said:
you do know that garlic does nothing to kill ich or the ich cycle?. As long as there is a host, you'll have ich. No sense telling you why it happened, you answered that in your first post.

IMO you best get one and go FOWLR or you and your fish are in for a long sad trip

You do realize most fish tanks have ich right? The garlic boosts the fishes immune system, allowing it to fend off the ich.

Garlic doesn't boost the immune system. Allicin (chemical in freshly pressed garlic) has been demonstrated to actively kill parasites. Some hobbyists have only added this and watched the white spot go away.

Garlic has 3 active ingredients, that help out the immune system. What you just said, is supporting what I said. Allicin helps kill bacteria, which indeed helps the immune system.

Well I'm gonna try it as I've heard it works and as you guys agree with that, why else would they make products and food with it in if it did nothing? If I have ich in my tank I can cope just not if my fish are uncomfortable with it, I know ich is present in the wild the shrimp and cleaner wrasse help control it and as there are so many fish, space and many other reasons the massive re infestation of tomites to the same fish doesn't happen which is the killer, also captainahab I appreciate your comments and thank you however if setting a quarantine was an option I wouldn't have posted the thread in the first place thanks again guys

What 'ingredients' are in garlic that help the immune system?

A lack of bacteria doesn't actively boost the immune system.

It is not just bacteria. Studies have shown it actively kills parasites.

I have done freshwater dips they did help but came back straight away as the fish was stressed from the bath and the free floating tomites in the tank jumped straight back on vicious circle :( unless I did loads of freshwater dips day after day almost using the fish as a removal device but I don't think that's right and a fish could cope with that :(?

Ya usually you just need to add some supplements to the water

Back
Top Bottom