Humu Humu injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicasmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tonight I checked in my tank and saw my humu attached to the suction port of a powerhead. At some point since I laid down, the tube broke of the powerhead and he got a little too close. I thought he was dead but when I fred him he swam away. Now Ive noticed he has a perfect circular "hickey" on his left side and he cant use his left pectoral fin. I checked his alertness and activeness and he seems fine, just a little shaken up. I felt bad so I hand fed him a piece of shrimp, he didnt hesitate to eat it. My main concern is will the possible permenant loss of use in his pectoral fin cause a health decline or will he just be handicapped and happy.
I feel terrible about this and he is my fav fish.:(

I think in this situation time is your best freind. You should monitor him whenever you get the chance, and if he cant get food on his own, then hand feed him like you previously did. Maybe he just needs to regain his strength. I feel bad for your humu humu, they're really nice fish. Hope he gets better.

I have hand fed him since he was a 1" little guy, hes like a dog, comes up wagging his little tail it seems, every time I come to the tank.
He seems to be doing alright. Ill post a pic of the wound when the lights come on.

My dad's clown trigger has a "hickey" looking wound, too. I think they were from damsels, but I'm awaiting your pics to see if they look the same. Good luck with your Humu. I have one, too, and they're a real joy to watch and feed.

Zack, he may regain use of his fin as long as others in the tank give him time to rest and regain his strength.

If you see any redness, open sores, or excessive swelling you may have to treat with Nitrofurazone or other anti-bacterial med in a separate vessel. Triggers are tough beasties, though :)

Hes doing good, still not using the fin though but he OWNS my tank, being a reef tank no one bothers the trigger. The bruise is gone and there is no swelling. I have since bought a new PH.

You got yourself a "Nemo" of a different sort...Main thing is he looks like he's going to make it.

R.i.p

I guess the stress of the whole thing got to him. In the past few days he started losing patches of skin, his eyes started to bulge and finally he didn't have enough energy to swim. I repeatedly found him against the HOB intake on the QT, until he gave up.
R.I.P:angel:
I have since inspected and replaced as needed all equipment in my tank, to prevent future incidents.
My regret is beyond reproach

Yeah sorry about the loss. I thought he would make it for sure when you said he starting owning the tank again. Sorry man. :(

Sorry for the loss zack. Beat that powerhead with a hammer for its mistake.

Back
Top Bottom