Hurt wrasse, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pancho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal tank that has an O. Clown, a flame hawk, and a sixline wrasse. My hawk picks on the wrasse everyonce and a while, but now i am starting to see the physical damage on one side of the wrasse. It has pink spots on the side that look like tiny bits of flesh were bitten. hes still eating, and swims normal, but i can tell its sort of hurt on that side.
i was planning on moving the wrasse to a 1.5 gal tank i have for a few days, but i have a few questions.
1. the hospitol tank doesnt have a filter, but i was planning on making water changes an everyday deal until he seems better. is this ok?
2. will the flame hawk continue to be a problem? has anyone had experience with this before? i was thinking the wrasse might be able to hold his own once he grows a little.
3. also, can anyone recommend something to use in the hospitol to help him heal quicker? i have Malafix from my old freshwater tank, would that help at all?
thank you guys so much!

First you have to know that your fish have a very min. req of 30 gallons. A standard 29 is only 1 gallon different, but 6" shorter. I think that 30 alone is very liberal for a wrasse even though I have one. You will always have more aggression in a smaller tank. Wrasse get to big for a 29 IMO so you may be better giving it to someone or trading it to an LFS.

1. Do you have any LR or filter media to add to the QT to help the swings. It mat get hard to keep levels in check.

2. It may, time out for the wrasse could work as well if it gets bigger and regains strength but refer to my first comment.

3. I wouldn't use that med. if it is older. I don't know the best answer to this one so I will leave it to the pros. I think time, good nutrition, and good water quality is probably best.

Back
Top Bottom