Hypo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rikbar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I have been treating for ich now about 2 weeks, I have Qt'd the fish and am using hypo, am using a refractometer, have the sg at 1.009, the fish are still showing signs of after 2 weeks. Is this normal?
The fish are huma huma, and V lion. Had a dog face puffer but he didn't make it. The main is empty. Just curious about the treatment. Thanks for your time.
Rik

I've never used hypo but I have had ich in a humu, lion, and porc puffer at once. I used coppersafe and it was gone cleared up in 3 days and they all survived. The puffer was so bad his eyes had turned white and still he made it. If you have a proper qt and don't mine using chems, the coppersafe is the way to go.

Depending on how many days it took to lower the salinity, it can take an additional week or so to see results. Hyposalinity does not affect the free swimming theront or the trophont on the fish. It prevents the tomont from completing it's reproductive stage.

Are you checking the salinity levels several times each day and additing top off water as needed? If the salinity is allowed to climb, any surviving tomonts can rupture and infest the fish anew. As water evaporates, the salinity climbs so this is very important. @ 1.009 on a refractometer you should be at 12 ppt salinity, there's really no way it can continue to reproduce at that level. Hyposalinity will be effective at 14 ppt normally.

Cheers
Steve

It took me a week to get my salinity down to treatment levels (I was waiting on my refract and pH meter to come in) and once it was down it took probably another good week before the spots were gone. I've now been 4 spot-free weeks and spent the last week getting the salinity back up to my running levels. The next week will be spent watching and waiting and the fish will join my main 8 weeks after acquiring him! Whew! Good luck.

I have been checking the sal. atleast 3 x a day w/ refractometer. I guess I am just getting impatient. I will try and calm down, thanks for all the help.

Yup, hang in there...you should start seeing less spots on them in the upcoming week or two. As Steve pointed out, those that are on the fish already are safe for a while - making it seem like no progress has been made. This is why we can't just do a fresh water "dip" and eliminate ich. Keep an eye on other water parameters (esp. ALK, PH) and keep up for 5 weeks and you will eliminate it :)

Back
Top Bottom