I have friend with bleach look coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayfish4544

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have buddy with I think bleach coral he add a lot of calcium too his tank help us please ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428532993.406924.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428533010.288815.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428533028.421735.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For starters, never dose anything into your tank that you can't test for. Unless it is one of the better quality tests, aka anything api doesn't count, you shouldn't trust the reading. You should maintain regular 10% water changes to ensure your parameters are not out of whack due to said dosing, as fluctuations in alk can be quite harmful to corals.
Now, as to your question of the bleached coral, the what appears to be a fading hammer coral is most def in such a condition.
For starters, it is in the shade. Move it out into the light on the sandbed.
What size is the tank? What is the lighting over the tank...and be specific as without knowing either the type of unit, how many bulbs, or how many watts...so on it is hard to tell if the lighting is even suitable to keep photosynthetic creatures! Sadly, there are units out there marketed to be able to do such and it is the opposite in nature.

I test it was at 450 ppm

Use salifert test kit 55 gal tank fluvul ultra bright from petco

Yea I know he needs a lot better I just learn every thing from him and my tank looks better but I did spend a lot on my radions

Radions are pricey, but I sure do enjoy mine. That aside, he'll need to upgrade his lighting. There are chinese panels you can find on amazon and ebay that have the same coverage as the radions. They come in 120 and 165 watts, if I remember correctly. Used to go under Taotronics, for one of the sellers, but there are others as well. Two of those would easily cover a 55 and would be able to keep any photosynthetic creature he wanted.

Radions are pricey, but I sure do enjoy mine. That aside, he'll need to upgrade his lighting. There are chinese panels you can find on amazon and ebay that have the same coverage as the radions. They come in 120 and 165 watts, if I remember correctly. Used to go under Taotronics, for one of the sellers, but there are others as well. Two of those would easily cover a 55 and would be able to keep any photosynthetic creature he wanted.
Just a FYI, I just checked the PAR readings on the 120 and 165 watt units and they are exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom