I Keep losing Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skilpad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is 122 x 54 x 38 and is driven by a Eheim Professional II
and Aqu Medic Turbo Floater 1000 muti. when I started in December I purchased a Coloured Bubble Anemone, Red Spot Flymo Blenny a Lipstick Tank and Cleaner Wrass. I have lost everything but the Anemone becasuse high level of Nitrite and Nitrate in the tape water. I have started using RO water with regular water changes to bring down the Nitrite and Nitrate Levels repectively. I have a Bluedevil Damsel and the Anemone but every time I add a dwarf Angel I lose it after 3 or days of purchase.
Lemon Peel Angel, Flagfin. Oh yes I forgot to mention that I also have a maroon clown which has been with me since the setup. I removed this temporally and this has made no difference. My recent loss was a Cherub Angel.
Has anybody got any ideas because the experts in the shop are clueless.

Just from what you have written, if you are not seeing any abuse by other fish, I would say it is your nitrite and nitrate levels. You said you have brought them down, but are they at 0 ?

Nitrites can be a concern as well as nitrate if high enough, but I would be more inclined to look for a different cause. Especially if the anemone has survived all this. In most cases they are much less tolerant than most fish will ever be.

I would suggest posting all parameters to be sure. The loss of the cleaner is not suprising and may have absolutely nothing to do with you. Their suvival rate is less than 50%.

The tang, blenny and angels could be the result of cyanide poisoning or other situations caused at the capture point.

Do you always buy from the same LFS?

Cheers
Steve

My tank is 122 x 54 x 38

I see your in London. Could you tell us what measurement value your qouting. Are you using Centimeters or inches? I have a feeling its centimeters since a tank 122 inches would be just over 10 feet in lenght.

12 inches = 30 cm.

122 divided by 30 = 4 feet. :p

Cheers
Steve

Couple of questions: How long did you remove the maroon? They can be vicious, especially if they are hosting in an anemone. What are the numbers on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, salinity, and pH? How long were these fish at the pet store before you bought them?

Thanks for the response.
Hara a couple of readings as requseted Nitrite 0.05, Nitrate 2.5, spceifc Gravity ,Temp 26c , ph 8.0 Alkalinity Normal. I have a 4ft tank.
Steve S funny you should mention LFS, I have brought all from the same supplier.
loganJ The Maroon Clown was not a probelm to remove but although he is a active fellow I have proved that he is not beating up the Angels as I have lost acouple in its absence.
The weekend I am going to Maidenhead aquatics which is a big chain of stores that in the Uk that have a large selection of saltwater Fish

Hara
I'm using Red Sea test Kit and I'm still getting to grips with it. I was using Tablet kit before and the reading were not accurate.
I will take some water to maidenhead as requested on Sunday and I will post the results. so bear with me with those reading.
As I mentioned before, I only use RO water and not mains water.

Just an update a promised. I can confirm that my readings from Maidenhead Aquatics using my Sea Red testing kit were the following.
Nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5
Ammonia 0
PH 8
Specfic Gravity 1.021
The reckon that water is 95% perfect so need to evaluate where I am buying my stock from and ask if the Angels are feeding.

Back
Top Bottom