I know nobody like this approach but,.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anybody had any experience with Kent Rx-P parasite treatment for ich? How about a product called Kick-Ich?

I know what the proven methods are. I'm looking for another approach, however slim. Reason is, I simply don't have a house full of tanks. I have one 55 and that's it. No QT tank available so, either I try an alternative approach, or my fish just wing it and try and survive.

Tank:
Only two fish (1 powder brown tang and 1 LM blenny)
60 #LR, no corals
Cleaning crew

Thank for the help all!

I have used kick-ich in the past with success. The trouble with it is, it takes alot longer than they say. I had to treat the tank twice to get rid of it totally. Haven't seen any ich since. It didn't kill off my pods and my shrimps were unaffected. I may have gotten lucky since most say they have used it and it failed so I'm not advocating the product and your results may be different. Just giving my experience.

I also used it several times. As Fluff says it takes longer so you have to catch it early. I did have some losses the first time I used it because I waited too long, but I am fully stocked with corals and other inverts and had no losses in that department. However, I have also used coppersafe in a qt and it works remarkably fast. We had a puffer and a trigger that were covered with ich, so bad that the puffers eyes had turned white. We put them in with the coppersafe and the next day the eyes had cleared and the next day after that they had both cleared completley up. The expense was also much cheaper than the kick-ich. I will probably use coppersafe from now on.

Nobody with Kent Rx-P? Seems to be much "stronger". At least, all the directions and warnings have very stringent guidlines.

I have used the RX-P early when all I had was fish. It worked and all my fish are doing well 8 months later. I think that quarryshark's idea is better though considering I think it killed off a lot of the cool stuff on my live rock. If you have a parasite putting the rock and inverts in isolation would probably work Then treat just the fish.

Unfortunatly I learned fast to use the QT for a longer period of time. If you only have 2 fish, this might be the reason you need to go get one. You are probably going to want it for the future anyway. You will spen 5 dollars on a rubbermaid bin, or 10 dollars for a 10gal tank. My LFS has used 20 gal longs that would work great for $20.00. See what you can find.

The tank is the cheap part. If the specimens need to stay there for 6 weeks, that means a filter, PH, pump, space, etc, etc. Maybe later.

A QT might not be only $10 to set up, but it can be done for under $50. Think of it this way. The cost of setting up the QT is going to be less than the cost of replacing those fish when they don't make it because of the ich. Just my $0.02.

tripper

Tripper is right, tank, whisper E $14.99, 50 watt heater $15-$20. Air stone?

I had only suggested the $10 tank, because you would need all the other parts for the tupperware method.

Space, I feel your pain, but it is nec! Good Luck :mrgreen:

RX-P worked for me, but you have to have a protein skimmer and you have to follow the directions exactly.

Back
Top Bottom