I lost my female Clownfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Day before yesterday I noticed that she was getting pretty pudgy behind her gills so I thought that she was pregnant. She and her mate have been cleaning and area beside the "cave" that they hang out in. Then yesterday I noticed that she was not eating and she was keeping inside the "cave". I kept checking on her and realized that her eyes were getting a pop-eyed look to them. As the evening went on she would just float and rest on the bottom until her mate would nudge her. He looked like he was keeping watch over her. At lights out they both swam to the top where they sleep but it wasn't long before she swam back down to the bottom. She was gone within a couple hours.

We all felt so bad for her and didn't know how to help her. I wanted to post this in hopes that someone can tell me what was wrong. Our tank is still not completely cycled, meaning that ammonia still shows at .25 and I have been doing PWC regularly. Her mate still seems fine. He kept inside the "cave" this morning but as the day went one he's come out and is swimming about. And he's still eating.

So now it's just him and five hermit crabs in our 29 gal tank. We're not going to add more until we know a little more to what we're doing. I don't like being a fish killer :(

Here is a picture I took yesterday evening of her before she died...

DSC_3541.jpg

Well i feel very bad for you but you should consider just bringing the male bak to the fish store and ask if they can hold it for you because it is always better to have a fishless cycle so nothing could be harmed. Srry for your loss and hope things work out!!!

Ammonia poisoning most likely. I'm very sorry for the loss. :(

I'd suggest PWCs and waiting to add anything until you are cycled and stable.

To help the male through the cycle, you may want to pick up some Prime. Prime will convert ammonia to a less lethal form and will give him some relief. Sorry about your loss.

Sorry for your losses -

HN1 is probably right - ammonia or nitrite posioning.

When ammonia and nitrite are 0, and you are getting readings of nitrate, your tank is cycled and ready for fish.

I agree with Brian - ask your LFS to hold your clown until your tank has fully cycled. You risk losing him too if you keep him in there while you are cycling.

If that isn't an option do daily 20%+ water changes and monitor your ammonia closely.

Good Luck, feel free to ask any questions, plenty of helpful people here, who arent around to make money.

Thanks for all the advise. I'll not be adding any fish until out tank is cycled completely.

Back
Top Bottom