I think I have a case of Cryptocaryon in my reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think I have a case of Cryptocaryon in my reef tank. My flame angel has two white spots on the caudal fin and my yellow tang has one on the dorsal fin and one on its body. I've also seen them scratch against objects in the tank. Apart from this, they seem ok (they are eating, swimming normally ... the angel is even chasing the other fish as usual ). The other fish in the tank show no signs of illness.

I've talked to the guys at the LFS and they said that, since it is a mild case, I don't have to take the fish out and treat them. They said that the cleaner shrimp can take care of the white spots and that taking the fish out for treatment can cause a lot of stress to them and make things worse.

What do you think I should do?

Do you know of any treatment method that I could apply in the reef tank and not kill my inverts? I've read about Ruby Reef Kick-Ich and Chem-Marin Stop Parasites. Are they any good?

Thanks!

Mild case of ich? Is that like a small heart attack? Great line from an interview w/ John Melloncamp.. when someone was talking about his heart attack they said that it was just a small one. His response was.. 'wait until you have yours then we can talk about the difference between a small and not so small heart attack. The small ones you live through'.

You have ich period. The only ones in the tank aren't those you can see on your fish..

Other than reading up on the available treatments, I'd suggest getting a new lfs

Thanks for the advice!
Seems that, in the mean time, the white spots have disappeared. I looked very carefully.
What should I do?

As a matter of fact for each one that falls off it will have 200 little ones called tomites that will come back with a vengence.

Back
Top Bottom